Author Topic: Thermo Timer Switch  (Read 1217 times)

glcg123

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Thermo Timer Switch
« on: July 04, 2021, 20:48:28 »
My 230Sl was starting nicely, cold or hot and has been for the past few years. We have had a hot spell and I did not drive it for about 10 days. Go to start it and it will not start. I can get it to start by using a test light from a ground to the ground screw on the CSV solenoid. The car ran rich and stumbled. It started well when warm. Now I understand that the TTS provides ground to the CSV circuit so that could be the problem. Also, there are a couple wires running from the TTS to a solenoid on the fuel pump. Could that be the source of the fuel mixture issue? I have tried testing the TTS using the W and G posts with a jumper cable and test light. The test light stayed on for about a second. With all the heat here the garage is hot. Should I test again when cooler?  Can the TTS suddenly fail? I have tried measuring resistance and I get 0 ohms across the G and 0 across the W. Am I doing something wrong?

George 1965 230SL 4 speed

glcg123

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Re: Thermo Timer Switch
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 15:15:01 »
I have figured out my problem, fuel issue. I crack the fuel line at the CSV and the car starts. It runs lean causing the stumble. So, off to my mechanic to check the tank pump, tank and lines. I remember having this issue 17 years ago when I got the car. The tank was relined then. Perhaps a mesh filter is plugged, etc. Also, the relining material may have failed causing the problem. We will see.

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Re: Thermo Timer Switch
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 16:07:50 »
Just in case: the easy thing to check is the fuel flow at the end of the return line, should be 0.8-1liter in 15 seconds.

Also: there is a screen in the fuel tank, screen in the inlet of the fuel pump and the main filter in the engine bay.

It is a good practice to install an in-line filter between the tank and the fuel pump, especially if you do not have the screen in the fuel pump.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class