Author Topic: Factory suspension/ brake finish for resto  (Read 1716 times)

Mercboy

Factory suspension/ brake finish for resto
« on: July 02, 2021, 13:43:17 »
Hi guys, currently restoring a ‘67 250sl so hoping to share info/ pics and also get some much needed info from this place! I’ve stripped the car, shell is being prepped for paint. 2 questions:

1) Any recommendations for full engine rebuild? Location not really an issue as long as in England.

2) Where can I find info on the factory finish of the suspension/ brakes? I have a local powder coating company but just want to ensure it’s all being done to factory spec.

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Re: Factory suspension/ brake finish for resto
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 18:28:30 »
Probably in the UK at Colin Ferns they can answer all your questions.

Here a good place to start is search function. Type in e.g. "suspension paint" in the search window, you will have some results. There are also threads on brake calipers finish with factory pictures.

But in essence: suspension - satin black. Brake calipers - yellow (gold) plated.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 22:19:31 »
Welcome to the Group. Members enjoy posts on restoration projects by others and always ready to help.

Whilst as Pawel has suggested a search, using the ‘search’ in the Home line above will bring up lots of past posts on different subjects,  the majority of information is in our Technical Manual, available to Full Members.

Garry

[size=78%]
[/size]
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 22:45:28 »
Found one of the pictures from factory and some caliper pictures.
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2021, 00:52:28 »
I am not sure either of those pictures show original finish.  I question the first because the bolts at the rear of the suspension arm (trailing arm) do not have a recess in the head which indicates very recent origin and they are not painted black as they should be.  Also the fuel pump etc is out of the car.  Despite the Phoenix tire (reproductions are available)  it seems to me more like a restoration rather than an original photo.  In the second picture the bolts holding the caliper halves together are also gold which the Germans would never do.  The fasteners are too stressed to risk having them weakened by plating (Hydrogen embrittlement)  Also every caliper I have seen has Black oxide finished bolts.  The caliper to bracket bolts would be unplated as well for the same reason.

Aaron Householder is of the opinion the calipers were painted black on the inside face as appears in the assembly line photo but that is the only photo I have seen that might indicate that so I am still not sold.

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2021, 06:34:32 »
Shvegel, you are absolutely right, it is my description probably that was not precise the caliper pictures are from the forum, but they are not claimed to be of original, they just show how the yellow plating looks on the caliper. Sorry for not being precise.
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2021, 12:51:33 »
Shvegel has a sharp eye indeed! But then again, I already knew that.

The middle picture of the rear axle is my W111. And yes, it has been restored and somewhat incorrectly. The axle bolts are replacements and are not the dimpled as original. No way I would reuse the originals as the height of the hex flats are so perilously skinny. Torqueing to the required (150 ft.lbs?) is something I want to do with a new hex surface. I didn't know they were supposed to be black and will note that.

The calipers on this are new and have been sprayed with a cocktail of paint colors to mimic yellow zinc which is the original finish. It is all high temp brake caliper paints though. I just didn't want to break into a new caliper in order to plate it correctly. So because of that, the caliper bolts are painted as well and not black as original. As far as the black paint on the calipers is concerned, certainly could have been true and does look like that in the picture. That is a bit over the top for me and the paint would probably burn off over a few years anyway leaving a mess.

Ever tried getting someone to bend down and look under the car to appreciate all of these details? 1 out of 10 is my experience.  ;D

Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2021, 16:20:08 »
ColinFerns rebuilt my engine and it runs very well.
Very happy with it
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

MarkCan

• Silver
  • Canada, Ontario, Mississauga
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2021, 17:12:48 »
I started on the front suspension as well.
1966 230sl.
Complete front end is out of the car and disassembled. Some major components are already cleaned up, blasted and powder coated.

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2021, 16:07:22 »
Wallace,
My understanding was the entire rear axle assembly including trailing arms shown in the assembly photo was assembled less brake lines and painted black. The brake lines were then added after the fact along with their attendant straps. Horror of horrors I didn’t paint the straps that hold the emergency brake cables or the ends of the cables themselves.  It seems a little odd to me they would install calipers, paint the inside black which would overspray the inside brake rotor face so I am still holding out for that very low mile car photo to appear.

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2021, 20:05:01 »
Horror of horrors I didn’t paint the straps that hold the emergency brake cables or the ends of the cables themselves. 

I guess I too am guilty and will schedule an appearance in front of the court of originality. I can see that having axle bolts being yellow zinc is starting to look a bit garish. I may paint those down the road.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6