Author Topic: Power steering pump leaking and making a hard noise  (Read 1475 times)

sgp

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, FL, Miami
Power steering pump leaking and making a hard noise
« on: July 01, 2021, 11:26:19 »
Hello members,

I'm having an issue with what I believe is the power steering pump (see pictures attached).

Every time I move my steering wheel right or left to make a turn I hear a large thud coming from what I believe is the power steering pump. This thud began a small one and now it is much louder.

Also, when I turn on the car oil starts coming out of what I believe is the power steering pump (see pictures attached).

Note that my car recently had changed its power steering fluid and still has much of this fluid.

Any suggestions of what it may be?

Thanks,

Seb

Vander

• Silver
  • USA, OH, Columbus
Re: Power steering pump leaking and making a hard noise
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 11:39:51 »
Check the power steering fluid reservoir. It is on the driver side of the motor located behind the distributor and battery. Just twist the wing nut to remove the lid.

The picture you are showing is the "steering gear box"
1969 280SL

sgp

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, FL, Miami
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 11:47:50 »
Hi Vander,

Yes, I did that already and there is still a lot of power steering fluid left.

Thanks

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 12:45:01 »
Without hearing the noise in person, I wouldn't dare to diagnose the problem. But I dare to say it is not the power steering pump. Your description sounds like a mechanical noise of something. There is nothing in the pump that would create such a noise when malfunctioning. Low fluid could create a constant "screeching" sound. It could also create air in the system.
Lift the front end of your car (both wheels in the air) and then run the engine and turn the wheel. You may get a better idea where the noise comes from.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

Nicolas Aristodemou

• Senior
  • Cyprus, Lefkosia, NICOSIA
  • 280SL Auto 1970 W113, 380SL Auto 1982 R107
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 02:47:16 »
It could be that the power steering system needs bleeding. Air in the system creates funny noises. You can try bleeding the system. A good description of how to do that is given in the technical manual.
Nicolas Aristodemou
Nicosia - CYPRUS
280SL Auto 1970 US spec (W113), 380SL 1982 R107, Citroen DS23 Pallas 1973, Triumph TR4 1963, Triumph Stag 1973, Mini Cooper S Mk1
1965, Jaguar 3.8 Mk2 1962, VW Beetle 1978 Karman Converible, 1987 Ferrari 328GTS