Author Topic: New (well sorta) Member Intro  (Read 1793 times)

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
New (well sorta) Member Intro
« on: June 27, 2021, 19:49:11 »
Although I joined several years ago, it’s only been recently that I’ve actually started enjoying my car.  Here’s a short intro. My name is Len Reppond.  This is my third SL.  My first was a birthday present in 1969.  I traded it in for a ‘73 r107 which I kept for nearly 20 yrs.  After I sold it, I purchased a series of Lexus automobiles.  The 280 I have now was purchased by my dad in January/February of 1971 from Rossi Motors in San Rafael (now RAB Mercedes). He has been the only owner of the car until he gave it to me after giving up his drivers license.  The car is essentially unchanged since new.  It has 67k miles, original paint and original interior.  It’s been garaged since new and for a fifty year old car it’s in great shape.  When dad gave it to me, it remained in his garage for several years so it hadn’t been driven in more than six years.  I had intended on bringing down to the Bay Area but I’m a procrastinator and then Covid hit.  Recently I sent a covered transport truck to dads place, loaded the car up and transported it directly to a shop nearby that specializes in vintage Mercedes.  I had the fuel tank drained and inspected, replaced the brakes, steering, tires, mounts, radiator, oil cooler, muffler,  had the FIP rebuilt, replaced a frozen clutch and added new bushings everywhere and all new hoses with correct clamps and on and on.  I got to actually drive the car recently and it’s finally back at my home.  I must say driving a four speed manual is so much fun!   The car is nimble, quick and responsive and turns heads wherever I go!   I couldn’t be happier.  Some interior things need attention.  The GP stereo was removed and sent to Becker.  The carpets need replacing and I’m undecided what to do with the seat belts.  The heater levers need replacement and the wood trim is out and at Madera for refinishing. 

There have been a number of members who have helped me with advice and guidance.  You all know who you are and I greatly appreciate each and every one of you. 

Here’s some pix of the car after it’s first wash job since getting it to my place! My dad turns 101 in August and my intention is to drive it up to his place for him to see.  I hope he’ll be impressed! 

« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 01:43:24 by lreppond »
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
Re: New (well sorta) Member Intro
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 21:30:39 »
My dad turns 101 in August and my intention is to drive it up to his place for him to see.  I hope he’ll be impressed!

Your dad will be impressed.

Your story reminds me of a few other father/son experiences with their W113. One was recently covered in the MBUSA Star Magazine and another on YouTube where a detail crew pulls a W113 out from being buried in a garage for years then presented to the father after being resurrected.

https://youtu.be/UyTrkAqnkFI

Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Originally Light Ivory - Now Anthracite Gray Metallic

Charles 230SL

• Gold
  • USA, GA, Griffin
  • 64 230SL
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 00:35:20 »
The 280 I have now was purchased by my dad in January/February of 1971 from Rossi Motors in San Rafael (now RAB Mercedes). He has been the only owner of the car until he gave it to me after giving up his drivers license.  The car is essentially unchanged since new.  It has 67k miles, original paint and original interior.  It’s been garaged since new and for a fifty year old car it’s in great shape.  When dad gave it to me, it remained in his garage for several years so it hadn’t been driven in more than six years.
hello Len, that's a beautiful 280SL and I'm sure you already know how rare it is to have a 50+ year old, all original, one-owner SL. Your dad obviously has good taste in automobiles and he'll certainly be impressed. I'm sorry he had to give up his driver's license but I'm sure he'll enjoy going for a drive with you in the left seat. 

zak

• Silver
  • USA, NJ, Bernardsville
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 21:43:02 »
A beauty! Good for you.

jz
1967 250 SL
1983 280 SL
2015 ML 250 Bluetec
2007 ML CDI
2004 E 320 Wagon
1999 E300 Turbodiesel

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 01:31:05 »
Your car looks fantastic, Len. Thanks for the story and for the pictures.  I agree nothing like a spirited drive with the four speed stick! 
Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)

David Robinson

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Senior
  • Ireland, Connaught, Galway
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 09:07:21 »
Hi Len, great story and lovely car. Enjoy

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2021, 15:31:32 »
Very Nice story and specimen, Len!

Mike
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2021, 16:10:30 »
 Great story and a beautiful looking Pagoda as well. So nice to keep the car in the family and I wish your Dad a Happy Birthday #101. Talk about milestones!

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2021, 01:09:12 »
Len,
Could we see under the hood?  It is very rare to see a car with that few miles on it.  I would love to see if there are any logos left on the blue ignition coil?  Even glue marks would help.