Author Topic: Pagoda World Vol. 1 : A Tribute to the past and current members  (Read 1734 times)

mmizesko

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Gold
  • USA, OH, New Albany
I received my Pagoda World Volume 1 compilation in the mail today.  It was an amazing effort and thanks to Alex Djuric, Michael Salemi, Amy McKenna, Jon Bernardi and Alex's helpers in North Carolina for delivering such a great product to us all.

When I leafed through the first 5 issues, i saw the many names of people who got us here, and I wanted to mention a few of them, as they aren't names that are on the Forum every day any more.  Some have sold their cars, some have gotten busy with other things, some have health issues, and some have passed away.  As my Father always said..." Mike,  Getting Old Ain't for Sissies".  The Circle and the corresponding Seasons of life are definite and interminable.

My first call was to my friend and Fellow Ohioan Rodd Masteller.  I wanted to make sure he had a copy, as his face and name were all over the book.  His arrived today as well.

Then noticed some of the Legends of the Group who helped lead it early on:

Cees Klumper, Joe Alexander, Tom Sargeant, Achim Ahlert, Bob Geco, Richard Madison, Dan Caron, Doug Kim, Peter Van Es, James Lester, Walt Klatt, Frank Cozza,Klaus Drexl, and Larry Hemstreet and other names that I don't know much about. Some of the aforementioned are still active participants, some not mentioned were not active in the Group during it's first 10 issues, and I know that at least Bob Geco is no longer with us.

I wanted to create a thread where we could appreciate the folks responsible for this fine group.  I'm sure there are others that weren't mentioned in the first 10 Pagoda Worlds and were instrumental in the foundation work in the old Yahoo user group.

I just thought the timing was right, as most of us have this trove of historical Pagoda magazines in hand.

Please join me in celebrating those instrumental in the Group up to 2008.  Our next Volume will have some fresh new names of committed individuals who furthered our noble cause during the following decade.

Thanks guys,

Mike Mizesko
President
Pagoda SL Group, Inc.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 15:04:14 by mmizesko »
1970 280SL 291H Dark Olive

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
When I received my copy I noticed many familiar names and others whose names were new to me.  Like most clubs there’s an ebb and flow of members with a handful of stalwart members who become the glue that holds it together.  To those members I applaud you. 

I’m a member of several different organizations related to other hobbies I dabble in.  The overriding opinion of many in leadership roles is how to attract younger members so the hobby and the organization will survive and hopefully continue to thrive.  I’m one of those grey haired guys now and although I have an keen and still quite active interest in this organization I sometimes wonder how many young members are out there.  They represent the future. I think we all need to acknowledge those members who got us where we are now, while at the same time we continue to attract younger members and keep them engaged. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 00:24:52 by lreppond »
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Mike
One of my little pleasures is discovering old Yahoo content on the tech manual. Mostly unintelligible to me but it’s there and takes me back to my earliest days. That and content from “the other site” ;)
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
I joined the forum 17 years ago and went through a couple of dry spells. 
Not being mechanically inclined, I’m more of a user than a contributor. 
But this group has always been patient, tolerant, and inviting.   
This is a great place!
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Thanks Mike. For those of you interested in the history of the group and the early "founding fathers",  https://www.sl113.org/wiki/About/History.

Including the evolution of our website... https://www.sl113.org/wiki/About/Oldwebsite
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!