Author Topic: W11x getting into heater/ventilation controls on dashboard to replace light bulb  (Read 2111 times)

rutger kohler

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • New Zealand, Auckland, Auckland
Hi, there seems to be some confusion, and not much help regarding an earlier post i put up regarding this subject. Just to be clear, my car is a W108 and does not have air conditioning. I am attaching a rather fuzzy photo of the heater/ ventilation controls, on my car, in the hope it might spur some sort of response on how to access the failed light bulbs for the ventilation part (the bulbs that provide the red light for the heater controls are fine)
1969 280 SL Manual gear shift
1972 280SE 3.5 auto

lpeterssen

• Vendor
  • Gold
  • USA, FL, Miami
I think you have to remove the instrument cluster where the Speedo, rpm meter and clock is. That is hold in place by a butterfly nut which can be removed from behind (2x).

Then once Speedo is out you can acces the back part of the heater controls easily

Best regards
L.peterssen

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
I remember that by removing the speaker grill and speaker, you have great access to this area. And removing the radio also may help underneath? The W111 cars have a similar heater control and in a similar location, but is not lit (thank goodness).
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

rutger kohler

• Associate Member
  • Gold
Hi, thanks, for that, I think Wallace is right or at least that is a start. I had the vinyl top off the dashboard off, some years agoo, and I think i had to remive the two plastic covers on the inside of the windscreen as well. i had the windscreen out at the time.

1972 280SE 3.5 auto

Runale

• Junior Level
  • Malta, L-Iklin, Iklin
The bulbs face downwards in the direction of the radio.  You would need to remove the radio and the holding panel frame to access the underneath of the ventilation controls.  From there you will see two round black covers held by philip screws (one on each).  Once these covers are removed you will be able to see the bulb, taking it out will be a different story.

All in all you can have a look at the technical manual of the site, but most probably you would need to take out the whole ventilation control unit.  Do replace all the bulbs once you are at it, including the clock and defroster knob.

Alessandro

1976 250SL

Alessandro

1967 250SL G050 G040
1979 W123 200D
2019 DB11 AMR

rutger kohler

• Associate Member
  • Gold
Hi, thanks for that it seems i either have to go in from the top of the bottom.  I have to say though although the controls look the same as the pagoda, access is different.  Will keep you posted
1972 280SE 3.5 auto