Author Topic: Coastal Thoughts...and Rust  (Read 2347 times)

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
Coastal Thoughts...and Rust
« on: June 22, 2021, 07:29:41 »
As I age, I’m thinking of the future, retirement, and possibly being closer to my grandkids (and their parents ;D) who live in a coastal area.

As I’m planning my future home near the water, what concerns should I have about the salt air and rust for my pagoda?  How do I mitigate the issues?

I’d welcome the insights of those with experience is such areas.
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Coastal Thoughts...and Rust
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 14:25:30 »
I think there is a huge difference between a northern climate (which you do NOT have in Tennessee) where nasty winter weather has tons of salt being dumped on the road, mixing with the snow and slush, and then getting up and into the nooks and crannies of daily drivers versus "salt air".

However, if you just search for "salt air effect on cars" you'll find plenty of information.

Though there is a small subset of members here who have never let a drop of water touch their cars, and never washed their cars in the traditional sense, I owned a car wash in Michigan, for 6 years. In that time I saw many thousands of cars, in all manners of condition. I'm here to tell you that the difference between a 10 year old car in near-perfect condition, and the same make/model that looked like Swiss cheese with rust, was two fold:

1. Garaging
2. Frequent washing

Take that experience under advisement.

Now, here is but a small sample of that search. What is one of the common denominators? I'll let you figure it out!  ;)

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/here-are-the-devastating-effects-saltwater-can-have-on-your-car/
http://www.flcaj.com/pdfdocs/salt%20air%20.pdf
https://www.allstate.com/tr/car-insurance/living-near-the-ocean.aspx
https://www.picknbuy24.com/column_72.html
http://rmanzphotography.com/2015/03/06/5-tips-for-preventing-damage-to-your-car-when-living-by-the-ocean/
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

mauro12

• Gold
  • Italy, Sicily, Messina
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2021, 22:12:29 »
Hi , I guess that number 1 priority is to store properly your car . I live in sicily and my city is on the sea side and every time I take the car out near the sea , I always like before putting the car back in garage , to give a nice wash with a humid microfiber towel ( no direct garden hose )and that’s it .
2-3 times per year a good carnauba wax and an indoor car cover to protect from
Dust and humidity.
I believe that’s the most accurate way to prevent rust or paint damage .
What else do you suggest ?
Mauro Pisani
250sl 1967 5speed zf manual

specracer

• Senior
  • USA, MA, Duxbury
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2021, 00:26:41 »
Run a dehumidifier (or AC).

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2021, 02:33:42 »
I would have the underside thoroughly cleaned, inspected for any current rust issues and, after any are properly corrected, rustproofed. There are good rustproofing coatings available that should adequately protect from the salt air.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2021, 14:09:52 »

I have an open fronted garage/cart lodge, it isn't insulated and i can't add climate control or air conditioning
I used to put my car in clean, with a dust cover and when i used the car it was dusty, insects had found their way under the cover and made a mess and i also had rodent problems
I've since used an air chamber, it keeps the car spotless, no dust, no insects, no rodents and dry as a bone
When my other cars are dripping with condensation the 230 is completely dry.  I leave the windows half open when it's in there.  It's a bit snug, and i can't fit the hard top and stand in there, so if you have room in your garage get the larger chamber and you'll have room for your hard top and stand as well
Thoroughly recommended
I have no connection to the company, there are others on the market, but these have a rigid frame and some balloon types don't

https://airchamberusa.com/
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2021, 22:18:11 »
I lived by a lake for about ten years, about 500 meters away on the other side of a spit was a surf beach and there was constant salt spray in the air.  Everything rusted, i mean everything and it was impossible to keep any tools in decent condition.

It was so bad that i kept my Pagoda in a different location, occasionally taking it home but always throughly washing it after a visit to the house, hosing it from top to bottom, front to back with fresh water then a short drive to make sure it dried out before storing it away.
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2021, 01:26:04 »
Back in the seventies one of my friends bought a Triumph Spitfire that had spent some years with the previous owner who lived very close to the North Sea. The (passenger) side that was constantly exposed to the salt air, from the way it was parked on the street, was very rusted. Interestingly, the other side was not.
This is why when we finally move to Key West I hesitate to take any nice, older car with us.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

mauro12

• Gold
  • Italy, Sicily, Messina
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2021, 09:57:28 »
Do you guys think it’s a good idea to rinse the car with a garden hose or is better to use a humid cloth ?
Im scared about water entering in the scuttle
Box or in any other locations difficult to fry out .
How about washing the wheel wells with water ?
Mauro Pisani
250sl 1967 5speed zf manual

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2021, 14:54:06 »
Back in the seventies one of my friends bought a Triumph Spitfire that had spent some years with the previous owner who lived very close to the North Sea. The (passenger) side that was constantly exposed to the salt air, from the way it was parked on the street, was very rusted. Interestingly, the other side was not.
This is why when we finally move to Key West I hesitate to take any nice, older car with us.

But at least it would rust equally on the drivers and passengers side.  :D
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2021, 15:05:48 »
I live in a coastal area 10 blocks from the Pacific ocean in an area with more rain than we need.   What works for me is having a well insulated garage with plywood interior walls (no drywall to attract moisture) where it is dry with a concrete floor and not much to attract moisture.  I have heaters for the winter and they are set to keep dew from forming on any of the shiny bits.   

I also have a mid-rise scissor hoist so after a day out in the sleet and muck and  dirty roads (like the new years day annual drive) I can spray down the exterior and underside of my car with a garden hose and then put it up on the hoist and use compressed air to move water out of the crevices. Then I clean the crud that falls from the car to keep the garage dry.    Then I spray rust preventative in the nasty areas of the car.    I have 4 old motorcycles and the two sports cars in the garage and all have escaped the rust where my much newer truck that sits outside is rusting away daily.   

Spraying rust preventative over shiny bits and in body crevices once in a while also helps but make sure all your drain holes are open and working.   

Getting under the car with the little hoist makes a huge difference to look for correctly operating drains. 

I try not to drive on the salted streets but some days with the sun shimmering off the fresh snow on the mountains and temperatures hovering around Freezing (0 degrees celcius) - you just have drop the top and go for a cruise - then coming home to wash the car of the salt is a necessity (Pair with baileys and hot chocolate and country music on the radio).   
Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50