Author Topic: Soft top frame - saga continues  (Read 2292 times)

Merc_Girl

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, Godalming
Soft top frame - saga continues
« on: June 05, 2021, 10:18:40 »
Hi everyone

Further help/advice needed please

So, on one side of the frame, the main pivot bolt for the frame has sheered off.
On the other side, I can’t remove the main pivot bolt

Question 1
My helpful local garage has managed to drill out the bolt but I need to re-thread the bracket
Does anyone know the size and type of thread required?

Question 2
I wish to replace the bolt which is currently jammed, as I don’t wish to be in a position where that bolt sheers. I’ve tried WD40, but nothing is shifting
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the bolt? I will take down to the garage again but I think they could do with some options of how to do this as the broken one was a complete nightmare apparently

Thank you all, in advance, once again

Katie
230SL

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
Re: Soft top frame - saga continues
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 08:29:00 »
We use timecert thread repair inserts but the frame offers very little in the way of material with which to work so they don't always work.
Worst case is you'll have to have the frame removed, stripped, the damaged hole welded up, a new hole drilled and tapped and then the whole part re-finished.

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 09:19:07 »
Thanks Colin

The frame is off at present so we’ll give that a go
230SL

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 10:21:28 »
Do you really need to remove those bolts?  Unless you are replating the frame I would leave well enough alone and fix the other one.  When the frames are built the bolts are installed and then they are punched on the backside (2 dimples) to expand the end of the bolt to lock it in place.  This makes it hard to remove the bolt without destroying the threads.  The simple answer is drill it from the backside before you destroy the threads but the dimples make it tough to get a hole that doesn't wander off center.

To fix what you have started and remove the other one if need be here is what I would do:
I am betting Colin (stickandrudderman) knows an old gentleman with a tiny machine shop who makes parts for old Rolls Royces, Bentleys and Mercedes.Find this gentleman and bring your frame to him.  He will most likely drill the remaining bolt, repair the threads in the buggered up one and even make new bolts if need be.

Luckily, where that bolt is there is plenty metal to install a Time Sert or if need be remake the welded in insert in the bracket..  Drilling out fasteners is an art.  I had messed up many before I found what works for me.  You need the gentleman who had done it enough that the second side will be a simple repair.  As a word of caution the old gentleman might come with many opinions.  Smile, nod your head, pay him what he asks.

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 22:13:18 »
Do you really need to remove those bolts?  Unless you are replating the frame I would leave well enough alone and fix the other one.  When the frames are built the bolts are installed and then they are punched on the backside (2 dimples) to expand the end of the bolt to lock it in place.  This makes it hard to remove the bolt without destroying the threads.  The simple answer is drill it from the backside before you destroy the threads but the dimples make it tough to get a hole that doesn't wander off center.

To fix what you have started and remove the other one if need be here is what I would do:
I am betting Colin (stickandrudderman) knows an old gentleman with a tiny machine shop who makes parts for old Rolls Royces, Bentleys and Mercedes.Find this gentleman and bring your frame to him.  He will most likely drill the remaining bolt, repair the threads in the buggered up one and even make new bolts if need be.

Hi Shvegel

Certainly one has to be replaced as it sheered off!! I’m mindful if one has done it, there may be a strong likelihood the other bolt would sheer as well, and given I new soft top is going on, I really don’t wish to flag around trying to replace it if it decides to ‘let go’ later.

Colin hasn’t mentioned any little useful machine shops, so difficult to find now 😔

Katie
230SL

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 22:14:26 »
for new bolts:

https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=29238.msg211327#msg211327

Yes, PM the chap but no reply so I guess he no longer has these for sale

230SL

Sead

• Vendor
  • Senior
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina, Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2021, 06:48:21 »
Yes, PM the chap but no reply so I guess he no longer has these for sale

?? I answered ur PM and even sent you some photos to given email address of soft top frame as u asked for help...
I still have few sets,..

Regards
Sead
1964 230SL

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 07:49:13 »
?? I answered ur PM and even sent you some photos to given email address of soft top frame as u asked for help...
I still have few sets,..

Regards
Sead

Hi Sead
So sorry, I haven’t seen your email and can’t find in my home email junk either

Yes, would be interested in a set please😁

Will try PM again and put two email addresses in it so hopefully one will work!

Thanks

Katie
230SL