Author Topic: Any ideas for Vacation rentals in Lago Maggiore and Lago Como?  (Read 5970 times)

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
Hello members,
Will be travelling with the family to Italy in the region of Lago Maggiore and Lago Como this coming September.
Wondering if any of you have used a rental house with 3 or more bedrooms and more than 2 bathrooms with a view of the lake and a swimming pool.
Just asking here before I head to the Italian Embassy for assistance.
Many thanks,
Walter

hansr433

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Italy, Tuscany, Torrita di Siena
Re: Any ideas for Vacation rentals in Lago Maggiore and Lago Como?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 15:56:05 »
Walter, I doubt that the Embassy will be helpful with this type of inquiry. Try https://www.airbnb.com/luxury for upscale property rentals.  I am sure that there are many other rental agencies in the area as well.  Google is your friend.  September gets chilly in the lakes region and a pool might be useful only if heated.  Heated pools are rare due to energy costs which are 4 times what energy costs in the US.  We are down in Tuscany and by September 15th our pool (unheated) rarely gets used.
Hans
1963 220SE Cabrio (Exterior: Navy MB 332, Top: Haarz Navy, Interior: 482P Sahara Beige)
1963 BMW R69S

Rothko

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, FL, Palm Beach
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 18:27:23 »
Try VRBO as well. 

Happy hunting!

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 22:55:26 »
Hello Walter,

Hello members,
Will be travelling with the family to Italy in the region of Lago Maggiore and Lago Como this coming September.

That sounds great! Then you can just "come up" and visit us in/around Seefeld during the European Event 2021...
It's only 272 km apart.... :) :) :D ;D
Then you can see some nice cars again... ;)

When exactly will you be around in September in Italy?

Best,
Achim

Achim
(Germany)

hauser

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 01:33:14 »
Here you go Walter!  Now it's up to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECxeA6OWpcA

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 02:57:56 »
Walter,
For Lago Maggiore, I have stayed a number of times at a family owned hotel in Stresa, Hotel Della Torre.  It is right on the lake and convenient to everything in Stresa including the boat dock for the Islands, the train station and everything else on Lago Maggiore. I organized a golf outing in the area a few years ago and we stayed there and it worked out great for our group of eight couples.  It will be crowded in September.  You can google it for details. Otherwise look for an airbnb in Stresa.

For Lago di Como I prefer to stay in Lugano rather than on the Italian shore.  l find Lugano much more civilized and very convenient to the lake.  You could look for an airbnb there unless you must be on the lake.  Avoid  GC at all costs!! :(

I will be at home in Italy from early July until mid-November (Genova and Parma).  PM me if I can be of help as you proceed with your plans.

Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 17:13:50 »
Hans, Rothko, Achim, Hauser, Ralph,
Many thanks for your ideas and help.
I will certainly follow up on your suggestions as time progresses.
Hope you all stay safe!
Warmly,
Walter

hansr433

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Italy, Tuscany, Torrita di Siena
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 19:31:37 »
Here you go Walter!  Now it's up to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECxeA6OWpcA

Hey Hauser, now that's funny.  BTW, I just entered you into the competition.  Good luck.
Hans
1963 220SE Cabrio (Exterior: Navy MB 332, Top: Haarz Navy, Interior: 482P Sahara Beige)
1963 BMW R69S

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2021, 15:43:43 »
Hello Hans, Rothko, Achim, Hauser & Ralph,
Thank you for your suggestions and help.
We have settled on a nice Villa on Lago Como, in the North Eastern corner in the town of Corte Colico.
Hopefully the Covid Delta Variant wont shut down international travel again, like last year. 
Crossing fingers.
Stay safe to all.
Walter

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2021, 15:06:48 »
Walter,

Nice choice! I would suggest a day trip to St. Moritz in normal times but exit and reentry might be a hassle right now.

Regarding the delta variant, I have been watching the numbers fairly closely since we arrived in Italy a little over a month ago.  You will likely be safer in Italy than many places in the States right now!  The green pass rules are a bit burdensome but are livable if the government doesn’t decide to tighten further.

Enjoy your trip!
Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2021, 12:53:06 »
Personally, I prefer Lago di Garda over Como and Maggiore. It is not so much a "ritzi" tourist destination and thus a tad quieter and less expensive. The town of Lazise on the Southeast corner is my favorite. Great places to stay and a terrific spot at night right on the lake with a lot of restaurants and live "entertainment" from street artists and art and nick-nack vendors.
The proximity to Verona is another plus. Makes a great day excursion to visit the antique arena, and the "home" of Dante and Juliet (Romeo's love)
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner