Author Topic: What is the paint finish on soft top ‘bow’  (Read 1418 times)

Merc_Girl

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, Godalming
What is the paint finish on soft top ‘bow’
« on: June 01, 2021, 21:38:48 »
So, continuing with the soft top frame renovations for Bessy, 230SL

I have ‘cleaned’ the glue off the ‘bow’ and treated the small amounts rust that was starting to come through.

I had hoped just to feather in primer where I had treated the rust, then spray silver, as that appears to be the finish.

However my husband has questioned if that can be done as the current finish is quite rough and ‘granular’. I had thought the bow was aluminium, but obviously finding the rust soon put paid to that thought! We are therefore mindful that the two paint types may not be compatible and some sort of reaction arises.

So, the question is, does anyone have an idea of what this finish is, and is it ok just to spray over it. Photos below

As always, your help is greatly appreciated

Katie
230SL

Peter

• Silver
  • Netherlands, North Brabant, Helmond
Re: What is the paint finish on soft top ‘bow’
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 22:04:55 »
Hi Katie,

It is passivated.
In the process its cleaned, de-rusted and gets a small layer of corrosion protection. The granulation looks normal to me.

If you want to do a perfect restauration you should do passivation, also the inside will then be  protected.

It does not look so bad so you could also sand it by hand and spray-paint it in “sliver” There are paint colors which match exactly the passivation color.

Peter

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 07:38:36 »
Grand

Thanks Peter!!

As you say it’s not that bad and I’m not going for concourse, so silver spray here I come!!

Also learnt a new word ‘passivattion’, now off to Google it 😌
230SL

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 08:42:12 »
I also silver sprayed some of these elements, having sanded them down a bit and having applied and sanded some filler here and there. Do not forget about using a primer paint first. Then the silver colour selection is important. I bought several paints to pick one that gives good final colour.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 10:12:18 »
Thanks Pawel

Have primer ready to go!!

As much will be covered by the fabric, I’m going to spray all remaining areas in same silver so will match!

I admire the fact you went to all the effort of getting the ‘right colour’ of silver, but don’t think my energy levels stretch that far to a part only seen in passing 😁
230SL