Author Topic: Ascensionday Rally  (Read 3533 times)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Ascensionday Rally
« on: May 17, 2021, 10:36:14 »
On Ascension day our small group of rally friends did a classic car rally. Enterprising rally enthusiasts have developed an App which allows you to do a regular rally without having to get out of the car, where the route controls do not need to be affixed to trees, signposts etc, but are shown on the app on your phone, based on GPS coordinates. https://rallycheck.com

Anyway, two Pagodas in attendance, and a TR3 and a Alfa Romeo Spider Cabrio. And two old guys with caps.
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
Re: Ascensionday Rally
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 11:40:44 »
Old guys in caps? really Peter, more like young fellows compared to some of us old guys ~grin~

Peter, if the rally gets too modernized with all this technology soon the fun will be gone, no? Nice caps btw.

Dieter
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 12:43:52 »
Old guys in caps? really Peter, more like young fellows compared to some of us old guys ~grin~
Peter, if the rally gets too modernized with all this technology soon the fun will be gone, no? Nice caps btw.

Flattery will get you everywhere. And no, actually the feel of a classic car rally does not change at all using the App. We are still navigating on a paper map. It is just that the check of your route (to verify if you solved the puzzles correctly) is automated. And it also means that after a rally you don't need to hang around four hours drinking beer waiting for the stewards to calculate the scores. You just get your score immediately and can focus on drinking the beers!
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 18:32:47 »
. . . after a rally you don't need to hang around four hours drinking beer waiting for the stewards to calculate the scores. You just get your score immediately and can focus on drinking the beers!

Setting priorities and accomplishing them is the most important goal of our hobbies! ;^)
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 20:53:47 »
Of course, beer is a very important enjoyment when in a different country, my favorate is Heineken. It is not always available and one has to do with what is available :( see photo 2 taken in Vienna.

In Amsterdam, I took the second photo since it was a true statement :) you may have seen the same statement or framed picture some time ago.

Dieter

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 21:29:39 »
There is a Heineken brewery right in downtown Amsterdam (now a popular Heineken museum). Years ago, a tragic accident happened, as one of the brewers drowned in one of the massive beer vats. The foreman had to break the news to his widow. When she asked "Did he suffer much?" the foreman said "We're not sure, but he did come out twice to go to the bathroom".
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 03:12:37 »
I know Cees, I was there then I left since the line was too long to get in also it was too close to closing time and I figured by the movement of the long line I have no chance to get in. So I went back to the hotel to enjoy a few Heineken’s instead with my supper.

Poor fellow that brewer I bet his preference was wine not beer ~grin~ I mean he must have had his dose of beer in his lifetime ~smile~

Dieter

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2021, 07:57:07 »
Back in my backpacking days I did the Heineken tour (still a working brewery then), followed by Carlsberg 2 days later and Tuborg the day after that. This was back before the time of hangovers and being able to drink in the afternoon
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2021, 14:37:30 »
Whoever wrote that sign must not be a beer aficionado. I have not had bread yet made of barley grains. Is there such a thing?
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2021, 16:49:46 »
Mike, apparently there must be. According to GOOGLE,,,,

Dieter

Barley bread is also low in carbohydrates and provides vitamins and minerals, fiber, selenium and many other nutrients that are not found in breads made with refined bread flour — and nutritionists say the dietary benefits of barley are significant and more beneficial than other grains. Jun. 21, 2017

End QUOTE