Author Topic: Pagoda in recent music video  (Read 5075 times)

Jo'burg Pagoda

• Junior Level
  • South Africa, Gauteng, Johannesburg
Pagoda in recent music video
« on: May 14, 2021, 07:39:28 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cii6ruuycQA

Olivia Rodrigo - deja vu (Official Video)
Richard
Johannesburg, South Africa

Kemal

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, London
Re: Pagoda in recent music video
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 13:19:35 »
I've tried wearing a headscarf, but unfortunately it gets blown off while being caught in the wind as I'm driving.  ;) ;D
Thank you for the post  :)
Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD69

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 13:54:29 »
Interestingly, they cover up the star emblem in the steering wheel, but it’s still featured on the side views of the wheels...ugh!
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 16:08:42 »
She got in and drove away so quickly - the car must have been idling before she got in...
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 16:49:01 »
She got in and drove away so quickly - the car must have been idling before she got in...
...and it didn't leave a little poof of smoke like mine does... :)
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 17:01:57 »
Yeah... film making is the art of cheating.
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Merc_Girl

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, Godalming
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 08:08:51 »
Silly question

I presume her looking in the rear view remember is a memory, but what of as to have that memory she would have been driving another car with rear seats and headrests, confused!

Ps. You can wear a headscarf as my aunt does when in my car, however you need to hold onto it!!!

230SL

Jo'burg Pagoda

• Junior Level
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 13:48:06 »
 ;D great replies, all!
Richard

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2021, 12:39:05 »
I presume her looking in the rear view remember is a memory, but what of as to have that memory she would have been driving another car with rear seats and headrests, confused!

Very nice video...
Although I hardly believe that girlies like her really prefer driving such old sheet metal .... ;D ???
Rather modern SUVs or that like I would guess....

Anyway,
it appears to me as if the car has got different seats, cloth seats with (integrated low profile) headrests, not the original ones.
There are lot of scenes throughout the 1st minute of the video with these wrong seats.

IMHO.....

Achim
Achim
(Germany)

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 14:47:32 »
Very nice video...

it appears to me as if the car has got different seats, cloth seats with (integrated low profile) headrests, not the original ones.
There are lot of scenes throughout the 1st minute of the video with these wrong seats.

IMHO.....

Achim

Those were the memories, I would have thought.... Achim, you are not a target group, clearly!  ;) ;) ;)
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 22:38:04 »
Anyway, it appears to me as if the car has got different seats, cloth seats with (integrated low profile) headrests, not the original ones.

Achim

I don’t think it’s a pagoda at all!!

Wonder what a memory of as she must have been the driver in the ‘other’ car as well otherwise would not have ‘memories’ of the view?

I’m not sure why you believe the younger generation wouldn’t be seen in an old classic, more they couldn’t afford it!!,  🤣🤣🤣
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 10:35:50 by Peter van Es »
230SL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2021, 19:04:40 »
Hi JoBurg. I am intrigued by your "avatar car". Beautiful. What is the color code and is it a creme or oyster colored interior? Any pictures posted here? If I have missed them, sorry.

I have a 717 white car with dark blue interior (332 hardtop and rims) but always liked the reverse image. Blue car with white interior.

Thanks.
James
63 230SL

David Robinson

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Senior
  • Ireland, Connaught, Galway
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2021, 08:34:57 »
My daughter is a big fan of the artist, we both agree that her videos are improving as she drove a R107 in her first #1 single.  ;)

Pinder

• Gold
  • USA, NJ, Edison
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2021, 14:36:05 »
THis is interesting in that I think she had the 107 version in cream color in her last video Drivers licence.
1970 280 SL Light Ivory DB 670. 4 Speed manual shift no AC Limited Slip Diff.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2021, 14:13:18 »
Interestingly, they cover up the star emblem in the steering wheel, but it’s still featured on the side views of the wheels...ugh!

It's the latest rage. If they don't "blur" an object (face, logo, etc.) in post production (Hey Ray Hays, know what I'm talking about??) they will black out logos. Many times in shows and movies, a blue Ford oval is painted black (as if that disguises the distinctive Ford Explorer...NOT); the Mercedes grill star is covered up, the GMC products are "de-badged"...

The reasons are interesting. If GM is sponsoring the show, well, no blue Ford logo can be seen, heck no! In fact that will be the car destroyed in the chase scene. If "Under Armour" is a sponsor of some project, then Adidas and Nike logos will be taped over. Even if there isn't a conflict of interest such as that, in some cases the producers try to blackmail win favor with a product and try to get "placement". If they don't bite, then the logo is removed or otherwise covered over. There are so many shows where Apple MacBooks are used, and when Apple has paid for placement, the distinctive cut out Apple logo is clearly shown on the back of the monitor screen. When they don't pay to play, they put some random shape over the apple...

In all the reality home building and renovation shows, it is so common to see shirts, trucks, product packaging etc. all blurred or blocked out because of these reasons. Another random reason is they don't want to provide any "free advertising" whatsoever. Say a house on one of those shows is "staged" with some attractive furniture, and the house is in Dallas, The ABC Furniture company truck is shown delivering said furniture. It would be hard to come up with a suggested price to show the truck's logo on a show destined for national exposure, and it would be hard for the ABC furniture company to justify such an expense. Nonetheless a few savvy watchers of the show may potentially spot the truck and call the furniture company. Well, over their dead bodies say the producers...and hence the name on the truck is blurred out in post.

Then the product placement, for which the manufacturers pay dearly, can turn a television show into a brief infomercial. Once saw a show where they very clearly showed the viewers the charms of some Toyota's nav system...and I laughed.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 16:23:48 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Theo113

• Inactive
  • Regular
  • USA, PA, Collegeville
  • 66 MB 230sl Signal Red
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2021, 21:19:28 »
Thanks for the post! A wonderful Pagoda love the color (MB color name?), lovely Olivia Rodrigo, scenic locations come along with the realization that I am not a big fan of today's pop music.  Interestingly my dad felt the same way about the music I listen to in the late 70"s.   

Pinder

• Gold
  • USA, NJ, Edison
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2021, 00:50:33 »
I would guess DB 670 light ivory. its a very yellow cream.
1970 280 SL Light Ivory DB 670. 4 Speed manual shift no AC Limited Slip Diff.

Theo113

• Inactive
  • Regular
  • USA, PA, Collegeville
  • 66 MB 230sl Signal Red
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2021, 11:32:44 »
Thanks Pinder,  as you have a Pagoda in that color DB670 that must be it.  I also see very yellow cream rather than light ivory.  I suppose it is an eye-of-the-beholder thing or a difference in the perception and description of what is light ivory.  However it is I find the color quite attractive on the 113.

Jo'burg Pagoda

• Junior Level
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2021, 05:55:07 »
Hi James

Thanks for the compliments on my car. Its a 1964 230sl LHD Euro manual. bought it in January from the estate of a guy who worked on it for years but sadly passed away only a month after he finished restoring it.

Colour is dark blue, 332 I think.

I am not completely certain what the code or name of the upholstery is, and I am quite keen to find out. Would you or anyone else be able to tell from the attached pics?

All the best

Richard
Richard

FGN59

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • France, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, Marseille
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2021, 07:29:35 »
MercGirl & Kemal: even I am not old enough to ‘remember’ Isadora Duncan, but check her out on the web (Wikipedia or other)

Richard: indeed a beautiful car! Forgive me if this is known to you already, but as you seem to be relatively new to this forum, and maybe to W113 or MB older cars, there should be a plate on the left hand side fender, just about where the hood catch/release lever is located, listing the paint and upholstery colour code numbers, which you can then check against the table in the Technical Manual section of this forum to identify the colour names (assuming they are the same as the factory original colours).
François

1994 Toyota Land Cruiser SW HDJ80 4.2L diesel
sold:
1969 280SL US specs, 4-speed manual, beige-grey (726H), parchment leather
1962 Jaguar MK2 3.8L (4.2L XJ6 engine), black, tan leather interior
1968 Peugeot 204 roadster, white, black interior
1955 Massey Ferguson TEF20 diesel tractor 😁

Jo'burg Pagoda

• Junior Level
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2021, 07:52:04 »
Thanks Francois

The body and paint number plate on my car is of the early under hood type, so it doesn’t have the first line showing the upholstery codes.

Paint codes for the body and hardtop are both 332G.

Of course, I am not sure if the current paint and upholstery are both identical to the original, hence would appreciate any views as to what the upholstery on may car is!

Best,

Richard
Richard

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2021, 19:52:11 »
MercGirl & Kemal: even I am not old enough to ‘remember’ Isadora Duncan, but check her out on the web (Wikipedia or other)

Now that it obscure, how do you know this stuff??!!!??

How long was her scarf that it can get caught up in the rear axel and pull her out of a car!! She should of had one of those quick release clips that they put on cat collars, if one wishes to wear things to that extreme!
230SL

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2021, 01:03:55 »
The loose end of a long scarf tied around her neck got caught up in the spokes of the rear wheel of the Bugatti roadster in which she was a passenger.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2021, 11:16:01 »
Now that it obscure, how do you know this stuff?

Well if you want to know obscure, along the topic of actresses killed in cars, look up “Mansfield Bars”…
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2021, 16:05:02 »
The loose end of a long scarf tied around her neck got caught up in the spokes of the rear wheel of the Bugatti roadster in which she was a passenger.

This accident, as well as those similar to it, were, actually covered in communist countries media back in the day. This was to discredit the western lifestyle and luxury items.

It stopped in Poland fairly early, beginning of the 70-ies, but in Russia for instance it is being done also today. If media there talk about Hollywood stars, it is almost always in the context of drugs, alcohol, scandals, etc., while when they talk about their local stars it is about family, charities, tradition and alike values...
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class