Author Topic: Dash, Gauges & Chrome -- oh my  (Read 2920 times)

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
Dash, Gauges & Chrome -- oh my
« on: May 03, 2021, 01:16:28 »
I had all dash parts out of the 280 and now it was time to take apart the gauges, to clean the glass inside, clean the chrome, and get them ready for install.

I followed the Cees Klumper method of prying off the chrome bezels from the gauges to remove the glass for full cleaning -- it seemed impossible at first, but once I got an edge of chrome lifted, was able to pry slowly around.   

Quite amazed at how dirty all the chrome was -- came out gleaming after using the best stuff on earth - Dawn Dish Washing Soap.  And a simple wipe on/wipe off chrome polish.

Have now wrapped new "hockey stick" cloth tape per factory (anti-rattle, I assume) on on the edges where I found it and ready to go on the dash. 

;D was able to commandeer the Kitchen table as wife was away.   
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 01:53:57 by kampala »
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
Re: Dash, Gauges & Chrome -- oh my
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 01:23:00 »
Great looking gauges Oz.  How did/what did you use to recrimp the chrome around the gauges? 
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 01:42:30 »
Very nice
 8)  :)
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 02:55:12 »
Don't forget new gaskets!
100-542-00-38
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 14:05:34 »
Marcus

The chrome trims are really thin - much thinner than I thought by looking at them.  Due to this the chrome is a bit flexible so once you pry up the edge most of the way around you can stretch the chrome ring off. To put it back on I slipped the portion I never uncrimpped (about 1/4) and worked my way around stretching the ring over the edge using only my fat fingers.   Once seated -  To push the thin metal back over the edge I just used the back of a hook tool - the rounded smooth part - and just pushed slightly and slid the back of the tool all around.  It’s not as pretty on the back as factory but it’s hidden.  A smooth rounded piece of hardwood could also work.

I used three sizes of flat blade screwdrivers to remove the trims.  The hook tool is too pointy to use for removal as it will damage the chrome but the rounded back of it works to smooth the crimping a bit.

Gary - you are right - I have all new gaskets - the old ones have really hardened over the years.
250sl - later - manual

Aslam

1000nutsnbolts

• Regular
  • USA, NH, North Hampton
  • Trying to get it right.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 15:24:30 »
Kampala - thanks for the great photos.

I am planning on this project for next Winter. As the Fall approaches, can I reach out and pick your brain?
Regards,
Tom

1970 280SL

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 16:12:43 »
They all look brand new. Great job!  My tach has a bit of a haze but but still legible and functioning. Not a job for my arthritic hands though I'm afraid. :(

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 16:54:37 »
The jewelry of the car’s interior.  Love those knurled pieces when sparkling clean.  Job well done!   
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)

mikkolehikoinen

• Inactive
  • Junior Level
  • Finland, Central Finland, Jyväskylä
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 17:09:22 »
Hi! I'm a new 230SL (1964) owner and need to take off the gauges: I would need some tips / pictures / how to remove the gauges - is there some specific order how to remove the gauges from the dashboard? Thanks for the help!

zak

• Silver
  • USA, NJ, Bernardsville
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 18:46:12 »
Wow beautiful, Kampala. impressive skill and patience.
Want to see them all installed soon.

jz
1967 250 SL
1983 280 SL
2015 ML 250 Bluetec
2007 ML CDI
2004 E 320 Wagon
1999 E300 Turbodiesel

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2021, 19:53:41 »
Hi! I'm a new 230SL (1964) owner and need to take off the gauges: I would need some tips / pictures / how to remove the gauges - is there some specific order how to remove the gauges from the dashboard? Thanks for the help!

Since you are a full member, you have access to the tech manual.  The removal is described.

https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/DashboardInstruments#DashboardRemoval

I had to remove everything since I was painting the car including the dash.  Most items are easy but be very careful with the rectangular cluster as you have an oil line to disconnect and you have a temp gauge capillary attached to the temp gauge. 

Once you disconnect the cluster you can slowly pull it forward enough to remove the temp gauge from the cluster and leave it attached to the capillary and tuck it back in the dash.  It will all make sesne once you start.

Careful removing the side vents - the pins can break -  if you can spray a little soap on the pin it will lubricate enough to help slide off — again it will make sense once you start.  These vents are removed from front but pins are secured through dash with clips and those clips need a touch of lubricant as described. 

Clock is easy to remove once you remove glove box. 

Find photos and it will make it easier. 

Best

Enjoy

250sl - later - manual

Aslam