Author Topic: Looks can be deceiving!  (Read 1198 times)

BaronYoungman

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Joliet
  • Veronica...
Looks can be deceiving!
« on: April 22, 2021, 18:46:27 »
So I had got this from a customer he didn't understand why it didn't work because he was told it was New Old Stock. It looked great from the outside even looking down the holes it did not look to have been used. Upon opening low and behold it wasn't working because literally the gas had glued the impeller to the bottom plate after ultrasonic cleaning and using aircraft grade aluminum cleaner it still was bonded to the bottom as you can see I had to use a pick to try to get out some of the gelled up gas.. worst I've seen in a long time my guess is somebody thought it was the fuel pump that was the problem figured out it wasn't took the new fuel pump off and putting their old one back on but leaving some gas in the new pump for 15-20 years. The worst had to be that it was so glued that the bushing came out when I was trying to get the electrical can off rendering the electrical part unfortunately useless for it takes a special press with a special die to put that bushing back in properly. So everything that shines isn't gold. Bob
Bob "Baron" Youngman
1971 280 SL silver  1 car 0 boxes
1983 500sec Wheeler Dealer AMG Widebody
1985 500sec Paris Autoshow AMG coupe
1994 320sl wifes car
1988 560sec  Japan "Yakuza Car"

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Re: Looks can be deceiving!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 22:03:49 »
That sucks.  I was lucky.  I bought one for $400 years ago they claimed was a "display model".  I always figured when I finally fired it up it would have no guts or be fried but it runs just fine.

1000nutsnbolts

• Regular
  • USA, NH, North Hampton
  • Trying to get it right.
Re: Looks can be deceiving!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 22:53:19 »
Wow - I learned something here. Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Tom

1970 280SL