Author Topic: How accurate is your clock?  (Read 6444 times)

roberhofer

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, BERKELEY
Re: How accurate is your clock?
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2021, 00:21:26 »
if you disconnect it it will at least show good time twice a day.
Ha! That's what I did. It was a battery drain and disconnecting it helped a lot to ensure that it starts straight up.

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2021, 01:06:00 »
While driving my clock is spot on.
About 24 hours later, it's about 20 minutes slow.
Normal? Perhaps a drain of the power to the clock somewhere?
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2021, 03:16:09 »
Here’s my thinking:

I have a nice collection of wristwatches: Audemars-Piguet, Blancpain, Patek, Lange and Rolex. All are either mechanical or automatic movements except the Oysterquartz.  Although they all keep great time, none, including the Oysterquartz, are as accurate as my cell phone.  It’s what I always use for the most accurate time. 

I like Pagodas because they’re old school.  I like their mechanical fuel injectors, funky wipers, foot switch for high beams, crank windows and seat adjustments, etc etc.  For me, whether the clock is accurate or not is irrelevant.  I just love the fact that it ticks and it’s original to the car. 

We own these cars because we enjoy them.  If having consistently accurate time in your car is important to you, switch over to quartz but if you enjoy the peculiarities of a 50+ yo car, stick with analogue and realize it’s never going to be perfect. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 20:10:01 by lreppond »
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)

Alex D

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Cary
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2021, 13:34:31 »
Years ago I was told that if your car is being judged in a MB concourse event and their is a tie between two cars point wise, one of the tie breakers the judges use is the clock, the more accurate clock time gets the extra 1/2 point and thus gets the award. 
Alex D
1967 250 SL
Original 140K mi
181 Light Beige, with  112 Turquoise Interior

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2021, 15:51:36 »
The Quartz conversion was previously mentioned in this stream. I converted to quartz probably 15 years ago and now I only adjust my clock twice a year for daylight savings time. It is always accurate and the original face and bezel are on the clock. I do not believe anyone can determine it is quartz unless they open up the clock.
Ted280sl
1969 280SL

mnahon

• Silver
  • Canada, QC, Montreal
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2021, 20:22:58 »
You don't have to open the clock; just wait a couple of minutes. If you don't hear the telltale 'thunk', it's quartz.
Meyer Nahon
Montreal, Canada
1968 MB 280SL Auto Euro LHD Silver
2021 Tesla Model 3

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2021, 22:09:04 »
I have the original clock in my car and since purchase in 2003, I have never heard it "clunk".  In a quiet garage, I can barely hear the ticking but never heard it wind.  So, I wouldn't miss the mechanical inaccuracy.  Where is a good place to get the quartz conversion and keep the original dial?
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2021, 13:51:07 »
I have the original clock in my car and since purchase in 2003, I have never heard it "clunk".  In a quiet garage, I can barely hear the ticking but never heard it wind.  So, I wouldn't miss the mechanical inaccuracy.  Where is a good place to get the quartz conversion and keep the original dial?

Mine was done by Palo Alto Speedometer. There's also North Hollywood Speedometer and a number of other places, some mentioned here on the forums. In all cases they just remove the movement and keep the original hands and dial; what they do is not seen.  I have seen some later models that say quartz on the faceplate but my conversion does not.

Like you, Ray, I couldn't care at all about funky mechanical sounds on a poorly designed clock that cannot keep good time. Others here would rather have no clock at all as opposed to a quartz conversion. It's whatever keeps you happy.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid