Author Topic: Need advice on re-vinyl  (Read 6430 times)

Rahul

• Senior
  • Bermuda, Devonshire, Paget
  • 1971 280SL automatic #571, parchment
Need advice on re-vinyl
« on: April 09, 2021, 18:09:07 »
Hi there, I have a 1971 280SL which has the original parchment MB Tex interior (bar one area). The seat padding has broken down pretty badly, and the vinyl itself looks pretty tired/saggy with a few small tears and rips in certain areas. It also it appears as though a prior owner was a smoker, judging by the holes in the carpets!

I am going to have the interior fully detailed, but I am thinking about re-doing the vinyl completely, as a few fitters have warned about trying to only replace the padding and risk further damage when trying to reapply the original vinyl material.

My question is, how important is keeping the interior 'original'? There is a tradeoff between having a car that looks original and well used, and one that looks tatty - I fear mine errs towards the latter. It would be nice to have a fully refinished interior, and judging by the cars that I've seen on sale recently I am guessing it is not seen to be a disadvantage in having them re-done.

I've attached some images and a quick video link. https://youtu.be/VU502tf0v1s

All views welcome! Thanks
1971 280SL auto #571 over parchment

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
Re: Need advice on re-vinyl
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 19:06:03 »
I’m pretty much in the same exact situation as you.  My 71 is in otherwise perfect shape inside except for a small rip on the drivers seat (outside bolster) and shot carpets.  I’m replacing carpets but I’m sticking with the original upholstery.  I was shown repairs made to old MBTEX and it’s pretty remarkable. 

From the up close photos, your seats are rather shiny.  Once thoroughly clean, they’ll have more of a matte finish and essentially look as they did new.  Any good detail shop can do that.  Rebuilding the seat frames and using new materials inside will also make the covers fit as they did when new.

I understand the appeal of replacing the covers with new materials.  Done correctly, it can look terrific.  I don’t think it detracts from the value of the car either.  As I’ve gotten more and more into getting my dads old car back in tip top shape, I’ve decided to go the preservation rather than restoration route.  Roy Spencer at MB Heritage has encouraged me in this direction. 

This is a personal call and it’s your car and should be enjoyed as YOU want it.  Whether it’s refurbished or new, if done correctly, I don’t see it affecting the cars value in any way.  I’ll be anxious to hear the opinion of others
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 15:40:17 »
I would agree that a well done replacement for the interior would not have much negative impact on pricing. I would also agree that it is your car, and you get to make the car work for you.

If the long term pricing is a concern, the only thing I would offer is to make sure it is done correctly and with period correct colors and vinyl type (as close as you can get to the patterning of the vinyl).
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

lowpad

• Senior
  • USA, CT, New Preston
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 12:00:29 »
My 230 SL MB-Tex seats were in similar condition (though without any tears) and I brought them back to basically new condition with new springs and pads.  Very happy with the result. 
1966 230SL (6/66 build)
French export
4-speed manual
158 Exterior / 040 Hardtop
2001 SLK230
1996 Porsche 993
1991 Acura NSX

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 21:31:14 »
I have seen MB Tex that had the color worn but no tears and it looked consistent with the rest of the car. MB Tex is also considered to be quite durable so I imagine careful removal should not be too risky. If it cleans up nicely and the tears can be repaired (not much to loose by trying) then replace the padding and keep it. If you choose to replace, keep the original on hand and don't overlook transferring the grommets in the headrests.
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Originally Light Ivory - Now Anthracite Gray Metallic

dldubois

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Pembroke Pines
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 23:31:36 »
I also have Parchment MB Tex and over the last several years redid it all with kits from World Upholstery.     You can not see any difference.   I even replaced the horsehair pads when I did so.    There are some great options out there to replace like new.
Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Pembroke Pines, FL

Rahul

• Senior
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 04:56:11 »
Thanks very much for the responses! Interesting that some of you have had success using the old covers on new pads.

I had been warned by a fitter that the vinyl backing becomes very brittle over time and can break apart during removal, rendering it basically useless... I might revisit that route given the responses here.

Alex D

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Cary
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 13:26:32 »
I am planning on having my MB tex seats redone this summer.  Planning on reusing the existing covers and the upholsterer told me that he only wants do it the summer, because he wants to take the seats out and let them bake in the sun for 2-3 days to get them as pliable as possible and then apply a heat gun to remove the covers while they are still warm from the sun.  If he was just to use the heat gun without baking in the sun, there will be "cold spots" that would cause the seat covers to tear. 

He also said to have a back up plan in place in case the they do tear even with the baking in the sun process, which would be to get a set of parchment or white seat covers and dye them to the existing slightly faded turquoise color. 

Alex D
1967 250 SL
Original 140K mi
181 Light Beige, with  112 Turquoise Interior

lowpad

• Senior
  • USA, CT, New Preston
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 00:43:11 »
Has anyone had experience finding original-quality 230SL Tex replacement covers?  I've not been able to find ones that have the "smooth" grain on my car -- they all seem to for later cars.  Appreciate hearing people's experiences. 
1966 230SL (6/66 build)
French export
4-speed manual
158 Exterior / 040 Hardtop
2001 SLK230
1996 Porsche 993
1991 Acura NSX

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 01:22:38 »
German Auto Tops offers two styles of MB-Tex style vinyl - coarser grain ("PXYZ") and finer grain finish ("XYZ")
Recommend you call John for more info - https://www.germanautotops.com/mercedes-benz-w113-1963-1971-230sl-250sl-280sl-front-seat-covers-vinyl
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2021, 12:52:14 »
Original 1970 MB-tex on top of new material from GAHH. Almost identical grain etc.

Rahul

• Senior
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2021, 23:06:10 »
Ok, thanks for everyone's help so far. Ordered replacement kit from John @ GAT, all arrived super quick. Decided for the incremental cost I would go with all-new replacements for longevity, rather than patch up and clean/re-dye the existing.

Next questions, now that I have the seats out, anything I should be taking care of whilst they are being reupholstered? I noticed the driver side is missing the 'foil-like' shield (presumably for heat and/or noise).

Also, does anyone know if this black seat bracket is required? Previous owner had recaros installed, not sure if this black piece is surplus to requirements - seems to have the correct model markings.

Some photos attached, thanks!

Rahul

• Senior
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2021, 23:20:07 »
Additional photo

Rahul

• Senior
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2021, 23:22:20 »
Sorry for the multiple posts, photo upload function seems to be a little shakey from the cellphone.

Last one

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2021, 02:13:27 »
While I had my windows worked on, I had Dynamat installed inside the doors.  They now sound like vault doors when closed and it quieted down the interior too. My carpets are shot and I’m doing the same thing under them before the new ones are installed.  I’ve been told many Gullwing and roadster owners have used the same product to mitigate the heat in the cabin.   

Glad you went with John at GAT.  I found him very easy to work with and the quality is very good. 
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2021, 06:22:42 »
To rajiggyfizzle and Ireppond,

If either of your plan to replace the carpet, I am looking to replicate the rubber carpet grommet that fits around the auto shift and could use an original to borrow or purchase. Let me know if that is something you plan to do.

To rajiggyfizzle,

Those plates you show in the photos are not from original seats. Looks like you are fortunate they were not welded in.

Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2021, 14:58:48 »
I have a 4 speed manual transmission, not an automatic.
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2021, 15:13:06 »
To rajiggyfizzle and Ireppond,

If either of your plan to replace the carpet, I am looking to replicate the rubber carpet grommet that fits around the auto shift and could use an original to borrow or purchase. Let me know if that is something you plan to do.

To rajiggyfizzle,

Those plates you show in the photos are not from original seats. Looks like you are fortunate they were not welded in.

Frank, I have my carpet out and may be able to help you. What exactly are you looking for? 
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2021, 15:16:45 »
rajiggyfizzle -
Shvegel did a nice writeup of the shifter rubber trim - https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=31619.0
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2021, 18:09:15 »
Frank, I have my carpet out and may be able to help you. What exactly are you looking for?

I am looking for the rubber grommet that fits around the automatic shift as shown in this photo. This grommet is fused into the carpet fibers.
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2021, 19:52:33 »
I am looking for the rubber grommet that fits around the automatic shift as shown in this photo. This grommet is fused into the carpet fibers.

Its in my shed, I will dig it out this week end and get back to you.
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2021, 21:51:58 »
There is a group of us here interested in reproduction. This is raising a new hope.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Rahul

• Senior
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2021, 17:35:15 »
I thought I would post an update now that I have had 80-90% of the planned work done, and the car back in my possession!

As mentioned, I decided to go with new interior vinyl kits from GermanAutoTops - very glad I did! The seats and doors look and feel great... I will save the dashboard coverings for another project that might involve pulling the dash.

I had two issues with the kit supplied from GAT - firstly the coverings they provide for the door-mounted armrests didn't seem right, they came with a much more prominent seam and left a lot of excess material that needs to be tidied up (photo attached). I am having my guy unstitch and re-do the seams correctly, and trim the excess. Secondly, I seem to have only been sent one headrest cover instead of two. The bigger issue is that it is now difficult to get hold of GAT via phone and I am greeted by a voice mailbox - presumably a result of the current merger with GAHH.

There was some slight miscommunication with the shop on the thermal/sound insulation, there had been a lot of discussion back and forth and I suppose I wasn't clear enough on the final instruction. My intention was to keep the metal floors as original as possible, and add mass-loaded vinyl (MLV) mats below the seats, on the forward floor pans and in the rear bench wells to provide better sound deadening (thank you thelews and 66andblue for your previous posts on this). The benefit of this approach being that the MLV mats are easy to cut-to-shape, and can be laid beneath the removable carpets without any permanent adhesion/attachment to the metal floors.

The shop actually ended up pulling and scraping off the original insulation from the floors, which was showing some signs of degradation, and replaced it with Dynamat, stuck down beneath the seats and on the floor pans leading up to the firewall. The MLV pads were cut to shape and laid on top of the dynamat. Not quite according to plan, but I have to say the overall effect has been great. Far less road noise and vibrations, less rattling, at 60mph+ I can actually have a (loud) conversation and hear the radio!

I am a little conflicted as to whether the dynamat addition will detract from the car's 'originality' for a future owner - but ultimately, it has enhanced the experience for me and I bought this car to drive. A few other bits left to complete, but making good progress.

Some photos attached.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 20:24:17 by rajiggyfizzle »

Rahul

• Senior
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2021, 17:36:46 »
Some more of the almost-finished interior upholstery

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2021, 20:17:58 »
No doubt about it: it’s looks absolutely gorgeous! 
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual