Author Topic: 300SL Wanted  (Read 3275 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
300SL Wanted
« on: April 06, 2021, 16:51:26 »
Yes, this is a pretty strange request, but starting to put the feelers out.

A good friend of mine, who has a good car collection including some very interesting pre-war classics in every sense of the word, along with a number of muscle cars and American iron, is really wanting to own a 300SL. A gull wing is preferred, though he'd consider the roadster version.

He is willing to negotiate a fully fair price for the owner. He has the financial means to do so. What he most definitely prefers to do is deal directly with an owner and not go through a boutique showroom or an auction house. Condition isn't that relevant; he likes a challenge and some level of needed restoration would be preferred rather than a fully done museum trailer queen.  He doesn't need me to go to an auction. What he wants me to do for him (since he's not plugged into the MB world) is spread the word that he's looking, and perhaps find that owner for him.

So, if anybody knows of any 300SLs for sale (not coming to auction and not in a showroom) let me know.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Re: 300SL Wanted
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 17:31:35 »
Ray Catena has a few.  This is a fraction of his collection. I believe these are upstairs of one of his mercedes dealerships in New Jersey.  Google his name.  He owns many car dealerships on the east coast.  He might be willing to part with one as he is advancing in years.  The cars he has are well sorted. I am sure any if his dealerships could put you in touch. 

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 18:20:57 »
Maybe this one is still available. It's a while ago, but at the time had our past president, Peter, quite excited:

Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Jack Jones

• Silver
  • Canada, ON, Milton
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 00:22:06 »
Gullwing Motor Cars had 2 x 300SL Gullwing listed on eBay that are no longer listed. I realize this is not the preferred avenue for your friend but thought I would mention them. 
Jack Jones                                                                                                   
1970 280SL 4 Speed
1984 280SL 5 Speed

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 12:47:24 »
If you want to buy a 300SL, I don't think you have the luxury of snubbing certain selling platforms. I have a hard time believing that there is a 300SL owner somewhere in the world who considers selling his/her car and does not want to maximize the price, i.e.: selling it by word of mouth to a limited audience. By now, all the owners who have one of the cars that are left - especially "Gullwings" - have an idea what they are worth.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

specracer

• Senior
  • USA, MA, Duxbury
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 00:16:05 »
And by contrast, there are people that like to buy and sell completely off market.

No harm in asking.

MikeSimon

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 21:01:22 »
Yes. I have a bridge to sell. But I like to sell it "off market'.....
What you are saying may apply to some American Muscle Car, or a dubious limited market "collector" vehicle. But show me a Ferrari GTO or a 300SL or a Aston DB4, even a 63 Split Window Vette or original side-oiler AC Cobra,  that will change hands quietly "off market"...for a price that is anywhere below outrageous...
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
German specs
3rd owner

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 22:18:16 »
Someone who has the money, has the complete ability to accept any selling platform, or reject any platform. My friend is an extremely knowledgable car collector, he has cars worth than I can even fathom. He has earned the right to not like the auction platform.

For every buyer like that, there are also sellers. I can tell you that high profile cars amongst certain people "trade" through auctions, but there's a large number of cars that trade quietly behind the scenes. He's bought plenty like that, just not a Mercedes.

Don't confuse this with someone looking for some "barn find" or some dumb seller not knowing what he has, or some kind of "deal" or "low ball" offer. That's not the case here.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

MikeSimon

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 12:57:13 »
I do not like buying or selling in/at auctions either...but the market for transactions becomes really, really limited. I work with two partners in the trade/brokerage of vinatge and classic vehicles and we do work though word of mouth, mainly because there is no (profit) margin if you go through auctions. But it is extremely difficult and certain vehicles are just no there. And the 300SL is definitely one of them. During the last 24 moths, we sold a Lancia Stratos, an Alfa Romeo Montreal, a Mercedes 300SEL 6.3 a Jaguar XKE and several "lesser' vehicles, including my own 60-mile Corvette C8 and during the process, i found my 914-6GT.
All transactions originated by a request for a specific model by an interested buyer and were completed within certain "communities" - racing, clubs and loose affiliations of collectors. Still, the offerings outside auctions are just not there.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
German specs
3rd owner

SEB

• Silver
  • Germany, Berlin, Berlin
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 14:21:59 »
Similar to Michael also a friend of mine from Belgium asked me to have an eye open for a 300SL Gullwing on German market (also he wish to purchase the car only direct form owner). I found some cars, but by this occasion I realized, that the owners expect much higher price, than the current price quotes are on the market.
In general on German market the prices quotes for the Mercedes cars from the 50ies show since few years negative trend. But I was surprised, that also the iconic Gullwing show this trend.

In my opinion this trend is related form one side with the generation change and the shift of interest to much modern cars (80ies,90ies), form the second side with the overheating of the prices for oldtimers in last years.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 16:36:33 by SEB »
Sebastian
1967 250 SL, 4 Speed, Euro spec, Tunis beige (462H),

Desertpagoda

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, AZ, Tucson
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2021, 01:10:59 »
I agree with SEB, the market has shifted with the age of buyers, I have a SWEET 1959 220se cabrio and cant get any interest
kb

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2021, 03:06:48 »
I sold my car on eBay twice: the first time the buyer was a doctor from Michigan. He didn't pay the 2K required at auction close, never came for the car, never inspected it, just faded away. The second time it was a buyer from California. He also didn't pay the initial 2K and also faded away without ever contacting me. I called him and he said that he had just bought three (3) cars on eBay and that I had refused to let him inspect my car. eBay did not charge me for any of these sales but added the sales to my profile. As I see it, selling at auction on line is just asking for trouble: The auctioneer will claim that he was just a facilitator. The buyer will claim that the car was not as described and sue for his costs and damages. Every buyer will claim that his check is good. I have had people look at my car and when I explain that I will not sign the car over until the check clears they don't come back. Sigi Linke has a few 300SL and might sell.
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA