Author Topic: Any POV on Grundy vs Hagerty  (Read 3695 times)

Chris Long

• Senior
  • USA, NJ, Morristown
Any POV on Grundy vs Hagerty
« on: April 05, 2021, 16:32:43 »
I've been with Hagerty for years but policy for $66k value on 1970 280SL is now $695; With prices increasing and me doing a lite restoration I was intending to increase value to $90k to at least match what I will have into it.

I haven't even checked what Hagerty will do with this but Grundy is coming in at $631... Anyone have good/bad experience when things go wrong? ie claims?

Thanks
1970 280sl 4-Speed Horizon Blue

Vander

• Silver
  • USA, OH, Columbus
Re: Any POV on Grundy vs Hagerty
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 16:52:49 »
I know a lot of Pagoda owners that have been switching from Hagerty to State Farm, check with them.
1969 280SL

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 17:33:17 »
In order to get a proper value insurance from State Farm, you need a good value estimate from a recognized source. Usually State Farm charges a certain amount per increment of value - like for every $1000.-. You may be able to get the value correct by submitting documented examples of vehicle sales. This worked for one of my non-U.S. market motorcycles.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 17:51:44 »
I was with Hagerty for about 20 years. At the time I first got collector car insurance for my Pagoda, we did not own any cars, and had not for many years, thus we had no immediate demonstrable insurance history and no obvious daily drivers. Because of that, all the usual gang of suspects (Grundy, J.C. Taylor, etc.) wouldn't insure me.  You see, my wife worked for Ford, and we received (and paid for) two management lease vehicles which included insurance and maintenance. This may seem like anathema to the classic car insurance world, but it was EXTREMELY common in Michigan; most managers at all the auto companies had such management lease vehicles. Hagerty, being based in Michigan, was the only firm that could wrap their head around this concept. So I had no choice but to go with them.

Michigan is a very weird state in a lot of ways, insurance of all kinds chief amongst the reasons for weirdness. Rates kept going up and up. So at the last major increase a couple of years ago, the insurance just got too out of hand and I decided to shop it around. Grundy saved me over $100 a year so I switched.

Sometime in the next few months, I'll bring the car from Michigan to North Carolina where I now live. Insurance is VERY different here, generally being 50-65% less overall for ALL kinds of insurance. So once I get a NC title and registration I'll shop this around again. No issues with Grundy but then again I never made any claims.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

MikeSimon

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 18:38:56 »
Doesn't NC also charge Personal Property Tax on vehicles? I have 21 vehicles registered and I would go broke....
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
German specs
3rd owner

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 18:48:56 »
Doesn't NC also charge Personal Property Tax on vehicles? I have 21 vehicles registered and I would go broke....

Yes they do. But the PP tax isn't all that much, and in the grand scheme of things, it's way better here. My insurance for three daily drivers is about 40% of what it was in Michigan, savings of many thousands of dollars. Homeowner's insurance is also a fraction of what we were paying in Michigan. Property taxes are a fraction too.

So the thread was about insurance and there you have it. Now, let's talk about the weather. Way too much of my life was spent dealing with snow and its effects. No more. No more -15 degree winter days...

Your results may differ of course and for a true comparison, ask AlexD. He moved from Cleveland to here and I don't think he misses Ohio.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

MikeSimon

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 23:39:20 »
For years I have pondered to move to a different place after I retire. I explored the possibility of Florida, South and North Carolina (had relatives and friends there), Arizona and New Mexico.
I finally decided that after I retire, I can live with a couple of feet of snow in the Winter ( I just stay put) rather than facing Hurricanes, Flooding, Tornados, Mud Slides and other catastrophes. 8)
I lived in Michigan too for three years. Don't know how it is there now, but insurance got less expensive after I moved to Ohio. Only thing that bothered me was the local City Income Tax - which is gone after retirement.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
German specs
3rd owner

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 23:56:52 »
...rather than facing Hurricanes, Flooding, Tornados, Mud Slides and other catastrophes...

Where I am here, I am a good solid 3+ hours from the coast. It is a very rare hurricane indeed that would come this far inland. We don’t quite have the terrain for flooding and we’re not close enough to any place that would flood. If we lived in California we might have mudslides. There is the occasional but very rare tornado but those can happen anywhere. We are not in tornado alley however. We did have a noticeable earthquake on August 9– enough to rattle things but we don’t have any faults around here that would cause anything like California is going to get. So calamity wise we’re OK. And no snow and subzero temperatures...

There is life beyond Ohio...and Michigan.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

John Betsch - "SADIE"

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, SOUTHOLD
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 13:46:18 »
Have you also tried JC Taylor if for nothing else, a comparison?

Jb
JB; 1965 German market SL, Rot Met 571, Summary Code 213 Interior

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2021, 14:45:33 »
Corvette Museum insurance.  Saved me thousands.  Underwritten by All Modern.  I have several cars, so can't speak to single car rates.
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

dpreston Virginia

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Salem
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 15:44:49 »
Corvette Museum insurance.  Saved me thousands.  Underwritten by All Modern.  I have several cars, so can't speak to single car rates.

I also have 5 cars on Corvette Museum Insurance saves you money!! $$$$$
190SL 1960 Sold
280SL 1969
280SE 1969 cabriolet
Vette 67
Porsche 912 67

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2021, 18:05:57 »
Have you also tried JC Taylor if for nothing else, a comparison?

Once my car returns to me, here in NC, I'll for certain be shopping the insurance around--maybe not this year but certainly next.

Insurance is NOT NORMAL in Michigan for a few major reasons, and it makes it considerably more costly than most other places. First, MI has an "all comers law" which basically states that if you are an insurance company, and you want to offer some insurance of some kind to some people, you need to offer ALL your insurance products to EVERYONE in the state. No "cherry picking" of insurance products, or areas to serve. The insurance companies answer to that is higher rates. The second thing that makes it different is MI is the only state/territory with NO LIMITS WHATSOEVER on medical payments to others. Combine that with no-fault, and you have a situation where your carrier has to account for the possibility you'll hit someone, turn them into a paraplegic or one with serious brain damage, and they'll live another 50 years. Potentially millions in payouts. All other states cap this. Lastly, each car registered and insured starts with what is called the "MCCA Assessment". So, before you start building your insurance cost from zero, and start adding mandatory liability, collision, glass, rental car, etc. you start at the MCCA point. For 2021 it's just $86 but in 2019 my last year in Michigan it was $220.00 per vehicle. (The MCCA is the Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association, an agency that helps pay the insurance companies that get hit with ongoing huge claims for personal injury) Once we moved, our insurance cost for three daily drivers dropped to about 40% of what it was. There was a similar savings on homeowner's insurance. Many insurance companies simply choose to serve 49 states and not Michigan because of these outrageous rules. I could not get (though my father) USAA insurance. Could not get Costco auto insurance either for home or auto. Very happy to be out of there.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 22:39:10 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Costco Auto insurance
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2021, 04:02:03 »
... Could not get Costco auto insurance either for home or auto. ....
I would like to know more about Costco's auto insurance. Who has any experience with it, and if so, what kind of cars?
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2021, 11:27:45 »
Costco itself doesn’t sell the insurance, they just offer it through arrangements with carriers so it has the Costco branding when you start. I believe the carriers are different depending on where you are because not all carriers work in all states and offer all products. So all you have to do Alfred is give them a call and see who deals with it in your area...

At the times I investigated this they were not offering any insurance products in Michigan. In my early years in Michigan, certainly for homeowner's insurance, it was low cost, and steady in price. In the 2000s it started climbing precipitously and then it became a chore each year to shop it around. My homeowners insurance (never made any claims by the way) went up 1000% in the time I was there, with increasing deductibles. The carriers always wanted you to bundle all your insurances together.

On the automotive side, it was once a buyer's choice whether to have a 6 month or 12 month policy. Last we had insurance in Michigan on cars, they would not write 12 month policies, only 6 month such that they could raise them 2x per year. We had one claim on an automotive, due to a hit and run on my daughter. The estimate from the dealer was going to be well over $2,000, and we had a $1K deductible. So, we filed a claim. Turned out the estimate was wrong; it was only a $1,300 repair. We paid the $1,000 deductible. The insurance company paid the remaining $300. Within days we got a notice that they had raised our premium for 6 months by $300. So, they would get back what they paid out twice over in one year...and this would continue for three more years, netting the insurance company $1,800 additional on a $300 payout in addition to our policy's starting cost. Had we known that we would have paid out of pocket, but you can't undo it. Don't hate lawyers. It's insurance companies you should vent your anger at!

Sometimes you just have to give up which is what we did. We moved. There are no such insurance challenges here in NC.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 12:49:45 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Benz280

• Senior
  • USA, NJ, Jersey City
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2021, 12:27:18 »
Having been with Hagerty for over 8 years with 3 cars, I have no complaints.
What I have found very beneficial is the towing component that I have used on several occasions. The cost of 1 tow ( Flatbed) alone almost justified the entire premium.
On another occasion, a car was in an accident in the opposite direction and the bumper flew across the highway and hit the fender on my MGBGT . Took the car to a very good British shop for repair, Hagerty paid repair less deductible no questions asked.       
1971 280SL 4 Speed
1995 E320 Cab
1965 Shelby GT350

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2021, 15:36:48 »
I think that USAA is worth investigating if you are eligible for membership as a result of your military service or that of a close relative.  I have been a member for over 50 years and continue to insure my home and all my USA vehicles with them other than collector vehicles.  They do not offer collector vehicle insurance directly but they have a relationship with American Collectors Insurance.

If you insure with American Collectors through USAA there is supposedly a price preference versus going to American Collectors directly.  USAA has always provided me with outstanding service on homeowners and auto insurance and  for this reason I went through them  to insure with American Collectors.  To date I have no claim experience with American Collectors.

Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)

sandcrab59

• Silver
  • USA, MA, Lunenburg
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2021, 21:08:54 »
How to contact Corvette Museum Ins
I also have a corvette.
Tom

71 280SL-8  Euro
67 250 SL
72 220 D
1982 300 SD
1983 300SD
1985 300SD
1931 Model A Ford Roadster
1997 Corvette C5

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

Tyler S

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Encinitas
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2021, 17:58:01 »
My car is insured as declared value with Grundy and underwritten by Philadelphia. Have had no issues with them. When my father owned the car he was with Grundy as well. He filed a claim once and had no troubles.
1968 (67) 250sl. 4 speed manual. DB180 Silver
1955 220 Cabriolet A. White Grey
2019 E450 Wagon. Majestic Blue
1936 Ford PU Flathead V8. Creme on tan interior.
1989 Volkswagen T3 Westfailia Campmobile. Dove Grey (blue)

dakman29

• Senior
  • USA, WA, Spokane
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2021, 21:19:04 »
I am also a longtime insured of Hagerty.  They are an excellent company and in my view there are considerations well beyond the annual premiums that should influence a buying decision.  When a fire in the engine bay resulting when I was changing a fuel filter caused more than 15k in damage, they not only paid the bill in full but paid to transport the car from Spokane to Calabasas, California for the repairs.  Also I recently discovered a crack in the paint in the left rear quarter of unknown origin.  They paid 5k to repaint the entire rear quarter and beyond although I couldn't tell them how the damage occurred.  They have earned my continued loyalty.