Author Topic: Right hand air vent - bar to direct vanes/blades  (Read 1438 times)

Merc_Girl

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, Godalming
Right hand air vent - bar to direct vanes/blades
« on: April 05, 2021, 13:57:28 »
Hi folks

Eventually managed to get the right hand air vent of Bessy out as I was unable to direct the airflow

It seems that there is a small bar that links all the vanes/blades together, see image.

Does anyone know if this can be purchased somewhere or ideas on how to make one, or perhaps someone has a template (long shot!!)

Many thanks as usual for your valuable assistance

Katie
230SL

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Re: Right hand air vent - bar to direct vanes/blades
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 14:20:12 »
Katie, I looked through the shops I usually use and I did not find part like this. In case you do not manage to find this little piece, please note that the whole round vent grille can be available for the range of EUR 250 - 270 with SLS being in the top range with EUR 312. The SL Shop have it very expensive and the price on the picture you attached is, I think, for the whole plate/cover, which you do not need.

Here is a good view: https://www.sls-hh-shop.de/main/en/mercedes-230-280sl-w113-/68-a-dashboard-covering/air-vent-jetmesh-chrome-p-7043
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 19:39:57 »
Katie,
the bar that you point to works like a movable hinge as you can see from the photos. Each blade is then kept in place by a spring-steel wire which you may have lost also?
All the parts of these air vents are shown in the last photo. I had mine rechromed 10 years ago, it was quite a challenge and I would not do it again. Especially since the owner of the chrome shop who liked a challenge is now retired.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Merc_Girl

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, Godalming
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 22:47:51 »
Thanks Alfred

So, I do have a spring that runs along the top, holding the vanes/blades in place, thank goodness!

Thanks for the other pictures, looks like this will be a little trickier to fabricate than I first thought. I had presume the horizontal surface would have just been rectangular, but I see that is not the case. Oh good!

Very splendid with all the chrome done, I wasn’t intending to go that far, just wanted the vanes/blades to be able to be adjusted!

Katie
230SL