Author Topic: 69 Issues: The Gary Anderson Years [MBCA The Star Magazine]  (Read 4328 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
For those that know (or those that don't know) Gary Anderson, the erstwhile editor of the Mercedes-Benz Club of America's Star Magazine, retired in mid-2020 after a 69 issue tenure spanning more than a decade. As an editor, he brought out the best in his contributors and consistently raised the bar for club publications to an exceedingly high standard--so high, that over the years The Star won so many awards (including many in which respected commercial publications such as Automobile were competing) that at times just carrying the awards was beyond my capability. (N.B. they were often given in awards ceremonies held in my former home of Detroit). There are actually only a small number (I know of just three others) of magazines devoted to the marque and this is as good as it gets.

Sadly the MBCA didn't properly recognize these amazing contributions beyond a couple of pages late last year noting his retirement. So, a number of us--his closest associates and collaborators, contributors and the like--decided that we should recognize him in a special way. We ruled out sending a fruit basket, a 24% lead crystal trophy, and an ersatz walnut and brass plaque; as he had moved and downsized his home, these things seemed trite. The idea we came up with was a memory book.

Concept, design and layout began last summer, and was completed in February. Production began in March. The book, a one-off example made just for Gary, was presented to him last night by me in a surprise Zoom meeting. Somehow we had managed to keep this a secret from Gary over all these months. He was truly astounded and surprised.

So while you cannot have a book, you can see the final result: (flip book format)

https://tinyurl.com/nms2jke8

Enjoy!  If you go through the book, you'll note a number of covers that have Pagodas on them!
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Re: 69 Issues: The Gary Anderson Years [MBCA The Star Magazine]
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 14:39:21 »
Very well done...
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 15:43:35 »
Many of us already know that you are very good at special books, and this one is a "duesey!" 

Thanks for sharing.  ;^)
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

opopotts

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • Canada, ON, Douglas Dees
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 20:31:42 »
Michael: A superb job of honouring Gary for his work. I was on the committee that selected him as MBCA editor and we certainly made the right decision in hiring him
Doug Dees

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 21:16:09 »
Thanks for the kind words, Peter, Mike and Doug. It was a well deserved gift for someone who devoted over ten years to better the car club magazine experience...
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid