Author Topic: Ordering paint  (Read 1731 times)

IanC

Ordering paint
« on: March 27, 2021, 14:47:06 »
I getting near the point of my body shop painting my 250SL restoration project and am having difficulty ordering the proper paints. I am in Vancouver Canada and have emailed Glasurit for the body paint and Wurth for the Shultz to apply to the underside but have had no reply from either of them.

My original body colour is the 180 G metallic silver made by Glasurit. I also need the MB 164 for the trunk and the MB 169 for the rockers. As far as the parts in the engine bay and underside that are Satin Black, I have been told that the MB 169 rocker colour is often used here. I have also read that others have used the MB 164 trunk paint colour. Wondering if there is a definitive answer to this as to what is correct. I plan to use the Rustoleum almond for the inside of the bumpers so getting this is not a problem.

Can anyone help me with how to order these paint products and the Wurth Shultz?

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Re: Ordering paint
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 15:20:59 »
DB 180 is a code used by Glazurit today. I think you can just order it from a re-seller (that is what I did). I think all of the colours you mentioned can be created and made, actually.

Yes, there seem to be a consensus as for 164 being for the inside of trunk and soft top storage.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 15:35:37 »
Here's the "recipe" for the trunk paint
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 16:27:11 »
What I have come across these days is that you tell any good paint shop: DB180, ekg and they just push the button in the computer and the machine does the rest. Particularly for Glazurit it will be the Glazurit guy who is pushing the button.

Then there may be a long dispute if we received the right shade of grey etc.

I am sure there are places who do it differently, but here they are hard to spot.

Troubles start with 180 when you have to paint again some part of the car...
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 16:50:00 »
Just out of curiosity. If your paint shop cannot get Glasurit does that mean they have not worked with it? When I had to decide on paint for my car I had to choose between asking my very capable painter to use a product (Glasurit) he had no experience with or the product he preferred (PPG) and had years or experience working with. I chose to go with the professionals recommendation and could not be more pleased with the results. Adding an unfamiliar variable after months of preparation just did not seem worth it. Now I must admit I did make a change from the original color so changing paint brands did not seem like such a big deal. It made my painter happy and I saved a few bucks.
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Originally Light Ivory - Now Anthracite Gray Metallic

IanC

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 17:15:44 »
Thanks for the replies, and thanks Gary for the formula for the trunk paint. Wondering if you or anyone else would have the formula for the MB169 for the rocker covers.
As well, any thoughts on specific paint for the Satin Black for the painted parts under the hood and on the undercarriage?
Thanks, Ian

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 23:27:50 »
Ian,  Satin black is just that.  I used an epoxy primer from Southern Polyurethanes in the US.  It is UV stable and designed to be left unpainted.  A gallon will do an entire car soup to nuts.  As for the underbody coating the grey green primer is best mimicked by Ditzler DP-40 (DP-40LF now ?).  The underseal is best copied by using U-Pol Raptor bed liner material.  It is available in various shades and is tintable as well.  If you go that route I can recommend guns etc. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 23:39:28 by Shvegel »

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 14:43:02 »
I had the trunk of my car sprayed last week using the PPG formula for dunkelgrau DB-164 and it came out looking beautiful.   Honestly though, it is slightly different than the original color which is closer to black.  Because of that, we had to paint the underside of the trunk lid for an even match. It has a great satin finish.  Although I have new rubber mats, I chose to use a matching carpet set from GAHH to minimize any problems of condensation.  There’s an added bonus of sound muffling as well. 
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)