Poll

Are you interested in purchasing Pagoda World Book Volume 1, and your mail location is:

Yes, North America
219 (63.1%)
Yes, Europe / UK
92 (26.5%)
Yes, Austrialia
11 (3.2%)
Yes, Other
13 (3.7%)
Not interested
12 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 294

Voting closed: April 30, 2021, 21:54:56

Author Topic: Pagoda World Book  (Read 4418 times)

Alex D

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Cary
Pagoda World Book
« on: March 25, 2021, 21:18:06 »
Dear Pagoda SL Group Members,

Over the years, we have heard that members would like to be able to order back-issues of Pagoda World magazine that we have published over the past decades.  Due to the prohibitive cost of re-prints, most of our back-issues have not been available…until now!

Utilizing modern print technology, we are able to offer a LIMITED EDITION soft cover bound book containing Pagoda World Magazine issues 1-10. While originally printed in black and white, Pagoda World Volume 1 (Issues 1-10) will have these issues of Pagoda World Magazine printed in full color, and unedited.

Pagoda World Book Volume 1 is anticipated to be available summer of 2021. The cost of the Pagoda World Book will be $65 USD total which includes shipping to anywhere for FULL MEMBERS, for Non Members the cost is USD $90 which includes shipping to anywhere. Pagoda World Book Volumes 1-10 will be offered as one time only, pre-ordered and pre-paid at the time of ordering.  Please note, the survey does not place or reserve an order for the book, ordering information will soon be available in future postings. 

Click on the PDF file below to view a few sample pages from Pagoda World Book Volume 1. 

Please respond to the poll above by April 30th, so we can judge demand.  If there is limited or no demand for the books, we may not be able to make them available. If the first book is successful, we will move forward with Pagoda World Book Volume 2.

Once we tally your responses, we will post ordering instructions and send an email out announcing the window of time to place orders. If you want a copy, please keep a lookout for more information on the Forum, and in your email.

Thank You,

Your Board of Directors
Pagoda SL Group, Inc.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 14:48:36 by Peter van Es »
Alex D
1967 250 SL
Original 140K mi
181 Light Beige, with  112 Turquoise Interior

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
Re: Pagoda World Book
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 21:39:20 »
If I may be disruptive here, is it possible to offer the Volume I in electronic form? Would save $$ on printing and shipping.
Thanks
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 22:41:01 »
If I may be disruptive here, is it possible to offer the Volume I in electronic form? Would save $$ on printing and shipping.
Thanks

Speaking from my own knowledge of the printing industry and car clubs going back decades I can offer you the following:

The overwhelming majority of car club members including this one prefer their magazine to be in print form. This is why we continue to produce Pagoda World magazine as a print publication.

Producing an electronic version properly is far more work than you might imagine and quite costly. Oh yes it could be done just as a PDF but that’s not an electronic publication it’s just simply a PDF. There are so many nuances to this that I won’t get into it here.

Perhaps most importantly, is the fact that we do not have the technical infrastructure necessary to produce a pay wall to control access to such an electronic publication even if we were to do that... and without the pay wall we may as well just give it all the way because all that would happen is that PDF or electronic copy would circulate around the globe faster than the coronavirus, mostly to people who have paid nothing to be a member here and thus have not contributed anything to the club or the publication.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 22:44:29 »
Thanks for the excellent explanation.
"...PDF or electronic copy would circulate around the globe faster than the coronavirus" says it all for me.
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

lreppond

• Gold
  • USA, CA, San Leandro
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 05:22:30 »
I would definitely purchase such a volume if it becomes available.
~Len

1971 280 SL
576G red/251 Beige
4 speed manual
Family owned since new (father —> son)

RAY

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Bromley
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 09:10:13 »
Fantastic idea, have cast my vote.

Looks very classy, perfect.

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 12:05:16 »
I can see the Pagodas in the future at Amelia Island, with the owners manual, service manual and Pagoda World book in the trunk.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 13:53:18 »
Update after Board Discussion. The following prices are currently anticipated:

• Full Member cost USD $65 total includes shipping to anywhere
  • Non Member cost USD $90 total includes shipping to anywhere

1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!