Author Topic: Front Camber Adjustment - Vertical Component.  (Read 1483 times)

PeterPortugal

• Gold
  • Portugal, Faro, Lagoa
Front Camber Adjustment - Vertical Component.
« on: March 18, 2021, 19:26:44 »
Hello Gents,

I am adjusting my front wheel camber and ran into something I hadn't considered before starting the job.

Imagine setting the eccentric bolt so the camber is maximum positive i.e the spindle is located to the maximum outboard position.

You then have two choices to reduce the positive camber. You can rotate the bolt clockwise or anti-clockwise and I assume that both will have the effect of moving the upper part of the kingpin further inboard. However there is also an up and down component in play then too. What effect does this have? Does this affect the King Pin Inclination?

Regards

Peter
1963 220se Cabrio
1968 280se Coupe

PeterPortugal

• Gold
  • Portugal, Faro, Lagoa
Re: Front Camber Adjustment - Vertical Component.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 16:31:47 »
Guys I thought I would give this a push with some pictures to explain. This is the LH front wheel looking towards the front of the car.

Picture 1 - Spindle adjusted to give Max positive camber
Picture 2 - Spindle adjusted to give Max negative camber
Picture 3 - Midpoint with spindle high
Picture 4 - Midpoint with spindle low

My point is I believe that adjusting the spindle as per pictures 3 and 4 would give you a similar camber so which option should you choose? What other effect could the choice have?

Regards

Peter
1963 220se Cabrio
1968 280se Coupe

PeterPortugal

• Gold
  • Portugal, Faro, Lagoa
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 18:19:45 »
In the absence of any other advice I have gone with Picture 3 and set the camber to spec with the spindle high on both sides.

Maybe I was over-analysing it !
1963 220se Cabrio
1968 280se Coupe

afeustel

• Junior Level
  • USA, TX, Houston
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 03:59:37 »
I believe Picture 3 will lower the front of the car and Picture 4 would raise the front of the car.

PeterPortugal

• Gold
  • Portugal, Faro, Lagoa
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 13:01:00 »
Thanks for replying. I couldn't really decide what it does because the upper control arm should just swing freely from the inner pivot....but there is definitely strong resistance to the position of that eccentric spindle in some directions, so some forces are at play.
1963 220se Cabrio
1968 280se Coupe

PeterPortugal

• Gold
  • Portugal, Faro, Lagoa
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 13:09:21 »
Whilst we are on the subject does anybody have a reference in the BBB for the tightening torque of the nut for the eccentric bolt which connects the upper control arm to the kingpin?

The lower king pin connection has a castellated nut and a split pin so you know it is secure without tightening it too much.

The upper king pin connection (with a FEBI kit anyway) has a spring washer so the nut should be torqued. I can't find anything on this in the BBB.

Any help would be appreciated.
1963 220se Cabrio
1968 280se Coupe

afeustel

• Junior Level
  • USA, TX, Houston
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2024, 14:11:54 »
I know this water has long since flowed under the bridge but I agree now that top or bottom does not have an effect on vehicle height.

Edit - other than camber, no changes to suspension travel or height.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 16:04:29 by afeustel »