Author Topic: tone control on Europa TG (or TR)  (Read 1894 times)

Charles 230SL

• Gold
  • USA, GA, Griffin
  • 64 230SL
tone control on Europa TG (or TR)
« on: March 10, 2021, 05:00:35 »
Is the tone control on a Europa TG or TR variable? In other words, when you pull out the volume knob shouldn't you be able to increase/reduce the treble? Reason I ask - when I pull out the volume knob on my Europa TG the tone is at a fixed high treble and if I attempt to reduce the frequency (turn volume knob CCW) the treble remains constant while the volume reduces. Is this correct or have I got a bad potentiometer on my Europa TG? Ridiculous question I know, but it's been decades since I've operated a mono radio..and I'm not current

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: tone control on Europa TG (or TR)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 06:17:11 »
Don't know about a TG but on my TR it is fixed (high pitch).
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 16:31:45 »
My recollection is both the TG and TR have a high and low tone setting controlled by the volume knob/shaft either being pulled out or pushed in.  It is a very small distance of travel and if your knobs are adjust wrong (screwed in place wrong) it's possible that it won't move in and out.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Charles 230SL

• Gold
  • USA, GA, Griffin
  • 64 230SL
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 17:36:39 »
My recollection is both the TG and TR have a high and low tone setting controlled by the volume knob/shaft either being pulled out or pushed in...
thanks Scott, so its either a high or a low tone setting - not adjustable. The volume knob pulls out approx 4mm at which time the treble goes to a higher pitch. Once the knob was pulled out, I (mistakenly) thought the tone pitch could then be varied/adjusted by turning the knob either CW (for higher pitch) or CCW (for lower pitch).  I'm glad I was wrong; I was thinking I might have a bad potentiometer.  thanks,,chas

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 17:42:50 »
thanks Scott, so its either a high or a low tone setting - not adjustable. The volume knob pulls out approx 4mm at which time the treble goes to a higher pitch. Once the knob was pulled out, I (mistakenly) thought the tone pitch could then be varied/adjusted by turning the knob either CW (for higher pitch) or CCW (for lower pitch).  I'm glad I was wrong; I was thinking I might have a bad potentiometer.  thanks,,chas
Nope.  Only high or low, no potentiometer.  Your good.   Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California