Author Topic: Need the exact location for a passenger side mirror on a '67 230sl?  (Read 2949 times)

russelljones48

• Senior
  • USA, NC, Mooresville
my apologies but my search skills must s__k..  I can't seem to find this info anywhere

cabrioletturbo

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Canada, Ontario, Ottawa
I am not sure if there is such a thing as exact location. You may notice that, if you put the passenger mirror in the exact spot as the driver's mirror, you would not be able to see clearly (the mirror would be just a decoration). MY understanding is that these mirrors in 60-ies were put on by dealers (much like antennas, radios and A/Cs), so finding exact position may be a moot point.

If you would want the mirror to be of any use, you may want to have someone hold the mirror on the door, while you sit at the drivers seat and move it slightly until it you can see the back of the car correctly and all makes sense and it proves to be usable. Then mark on the door, drill and fasten. You would want to fasten the mirror with the enforcement plate position underneath (inside of the door) before fastening. This will help to prevent any denting on the aluminium door when accidentally leaning against the mirror.

If you cannot find the enforcement plate, try searching usual vendors for pagoda parts.
Igor
1965 W113 230SL, Ivory with Black

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

cabrioletturbo

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Canada, Ontario, Ottawa
If you use "mirror position" in the search, you should be able to find many references to that topic on the pagoda group site.
For the parts:

late mirror plate: https://classic-mercedes-parts.com/en/w113-metal/mirror-mounting-plate-early-version-w113.html
early (gooseneck) mirror plate: https://classic-mercedes-parts.com/en/w113-metal/mirror-mounting-plate-early-version-w113.html

Not sure if anyone offered "Factory" position for the mirror. I have spent more time writing this response than it took me to mount the mirror. Position, mark, drill, fasten. About 5-10min altogether. 
For reference, here is what I did with mine, attached pictures of both sides.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 16:36:33 by cabrioletturbo »
Igor
1965 W113 230SL, Ivory with Black

russelljones48

• Senior
  • USA, NC, Mooresville
thanks for the pointers and search tips..  I had read the one post before but it doesn't actually give a precise location.  The advice, so far, would seem to be - anywhere it works as long as it has a reinforcement plate?  All that said, here's my logic:  assuming that these were dealer installed on the early cars (at least in the U.S.), knowing Mercedes they would have had pretty precise instructions for the technicians that installed them.  I am/was looking for those instructions if they exist.   If no one has those or has ever seen them, then I guess I'm on my own to locate and reinforce the mirror.

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
Russell, if you have your door panel removed, look up inside the door at roughly where the mirror would sit and you should see a reinforcing plate. This is where the mirror should be mounted.  Can't recall but there may actually be holes in the plate to position the bolts.  Regardless, there should be a reinforcing plate and it isn't that large so it should give you a good idea where the mirror should sit.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

russelljones48

• Senior
  • USA, NC, Mooresville
Jordan,  Thanks.  I'll remove the door panel and see what I find - good tip!!

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
Hi,
maybe this one can help you.
...WRe

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
You do have a legitimate question. When I had my body work done I wanted to add the passenger side mirror. I had remembered reading that on a left hand drive car, the passenger side mirror did NOT go in the same location from the edge of the door as the left mirror. The I searched this forum for that information again and discovered that this only pertained to the early style (gooseneck) mirror due to the potential of the mirror being obstructed by the windshield frame. As the photo in WRe's attachment indicates, there are differences in mirror mounting between early and later W113's.
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Originally Light Ivory - Now Anthracite Gray Metallic

russelljones48

• Senior
  • USA, NC, Mooresville
Thanks to all.  That PDF would seem to do the trick assuming I have the reinforcing plate on the inside of the door - I should be all set..  our car is one of the last 2-300 230's so I am assuming the plate is there..

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
Reinforcing plate can be purchased separately.
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Originally Light Ivory - Now Anthracite Gray Metallic