Author Topic: 280SL Tuning Issues  (Read 1107 times)

Nicolas Aristodemou

• Senior
  • Cyprus, Lefkosia, NICOSIA
  • 280SL Auto 1970 W113, 380SL Auto 1982 R107
280SL Tuning Issues
« on: February 24, 2021, 11:29:54 »
I had a rather "interesting" experience with my 1970 280SL lately which I would like to share with fellow members since things are not sometimes as straight forward as they seem.

Following my recent total engine rebuilt which included new cylinder liners, pistons, rings, bearings, timing chain etc., I could not tune my car to run as smoothly as usual (prior to the engine rebuild). The car was running ok but sometimes it would misfire or gave me the filling of a wrong mixture setting, although it was set properly. I suspected, timing chain installation, ignition timing, FIP installation/timing, fuel mixture setting, linkage setup. I checked everything again and everything checked out ok. Nevertheless the car was not as smooth as I would have liked it be, idle was sometimes erratic, especially when stationary at traffic lights (auto box). Trouble is that at one moment things were ok then the tune up was messed up, then again erratic idling. As the car was running in with its new engine things were becoming worse. I started to suspect something had seriously got wrong with the  engine rebuild.

Fortunately, last week during another attempt to tune up the car I noticed that when the brakes were applied in neutral revs were increasing by 100-150 rpm. I tried to move the shifter to position 4 or reverse the car started to work rough..... released the brakes engine started to run better. My mind went to the brake booster (servo). I checked for leaks at the manifold and servo connections, the servo vacuum hose and check valve having been replaced few months ago. No leaks. In the course of the next few days things became really bad to the extent that the car would stall with gear engaged when held stationary on the brakes. In neutral the car would idle ok and when brake pedal was pressed revs increased and then car stalled.

It was evident to me that the brake booster had failed internally, since brake pedal started to become hard. I ordered a new Ate T52 booster set and had it fitted today. The car runs perfectly now. The booster was the source of all my issues. If  the condition of the old unit had not deteriorated so much during last week, so that it was obvious what the problem was,  I would still be looking for the source of my troubles... internal booster failure which created a vacuum leak to the engine when pedal was depressed...

So another item to put on checklist in trying to sort out tuning issues.

Hope this occurrence would help some owners sort out
Nicolas Aristodemou
Nicosia - CYPRUS
280SL Auto 1970 US spec (W113), 380SL 1982 R107, Citroen DS23 Pallas 1973, Triumph TR4 1963, Triumph Stag 1973, Mini Cooper S Mk1
1965, Jaguar 3.8 Mk2 1962, VW Beetle 1978 Karman Converible, 1987 Ferrari 328GTS

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: 280SL Tuning Issues
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 13:06:04 »
Thank you for sharing, glad you got it sorted out. Diagnosis can be very difficult with these engines as we see regularly when people post their issues here. It should stay sorted for some time!
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Peter h

• Silver
  • Germany, Rheinland-Pfalz, Enkirch
Re: 280SL Tuning Issues
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 13:14:21 »
Yes, it can be so many.
You can only try one thing at a time and then test it and try the next.
Peter
08.68 280sl automatic white 717 G  blue MB Tex
09.68 280sl  4-speed, now 5-speed Getrag 180 G dark green MB Tex