Author Topic: B pillar drainage  (Read 1308 times)

IanC

B pillar drainage
« on: February 06, 2021, 18:22:14 »
I am restoring my 67 250SL California Coupe and have reviewed the posts and technical manual but just want to confirm my understanding of the drainage from the B pillar. I understand the water that does come through the rubber drain from the hard top well (I have no soft top) is meant to seep out just above the rocker cover. Is this correct? I have attached the relevant picture from the manual and a picture of my car as well.

Thanks, IanC

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Re: B pillar drainage
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 20:16:29 »
I think you may find answer to your question on page 4 of the attached. It also puzzled me... what happens to that water.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 22:27:09 by Pawel66 »
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

mnahon

• Silver
  • Canada, QC, Montreal
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 22:22:55 »
That water is supposed to drain through the drain that is just above the rocker on the outer rear quarter panel, see pictures below. The drain hole is hidden behind the rocker cover. The idea is that it then drains down between the rocker and the rocker cover and comes out the drain gaps that are at the bottom of the rocker cover.

I've always thought this was a pretty strange approach to drainage. In fact, that drainage path often fails and leads to the common corrosion point that is just ahead of the rear wheels at the bottom of the car.
Meyer Nahon
Montreal, Canada
1968 MB 280SL Auto Euro LHD Silver
2021 Tesla Model 3

IanC

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 00:47:46 »
Thanks to both of you for your help. The pictures from inside and out are particularly helpful, so thanks for taking the time. Be such a shame to spend all this time and effort just to make a big mistake.

mnahon

• Silver
  • Canada, QC, Montreal
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 15:24:39 »
Ian,

Drainage is often neglected in an accident repair or restoration. The consequences of that depend on how much rain the car sees, subsequently. But even in one drive in a downpour, a car with incorrect drainage car can take on water that can sit for a long time in the wrong places, invisibly, and do a lot of damage.

I'll refrain from making jokes about Vancouver and rain, but the questions you're asking are very wise. Pawel's document has a lot of useful info.

Meyer
Meyer Nahon
Montreal, Canada
1968 MB 280SL Auto Euro LHD Silver
2021 Tesla Model 3