Author Topic: Soft Top Hinge Bolts  (Read 1409 times)

chumps

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Santa Rosa Valley
Soft Top Hinge Bolts
« on: February 04, 2021, 00:44:20 »
I am looking for the 2 hinge bolts (about 2" long) that go through the main soft top frame hinge. I ordered and received 2 bolts from SLS.
They are apparently for an earlier model Pagoda. I have a 1971 280 SL. The bolts are  approximately 1/8" shorter than the ones that came out. SLS says that is the only size they have. I did some damage to the ones I took out because the ends were center punched to keep them from coming lose. They are still usable, but I would prefer to use new ones. Is there another way to keep the bolts from coming lose besides center punching the threaded end. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you,

Chumps

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Re: Soft Top Hinge Bolts
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 02:58:01 »
Put some epoxy on the threads.  They will not back out and a little heat will break the spell if you need them out in the future. 

chumps

• Senior
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 13:43:28 »
Thank you for your quick reply Schvegel. Chumps

cabrioletturbo

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Canada, Ontario, Ottawa
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 18:11:06 »
If I were you I would have them fabricated.
Igor
1965 W113 230SL, Ivory with Black

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 23:22:21 »
. Is there another way to keep the bolts from coming lose besides center punching the threaded end. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you,

Chumps

There are also glues for threads, e.g. Loctite. They may have medium or high strength. The high strength one would probably apply here.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

chumps

• Senior
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 01:53:25 »
Thank you Igor and Powel for your suggestions. I have thought about looking into having them made. I put the old ones back in just to see if they had enough good threads to hold. They are not damaged too badly. My top is installed on a jig so I was able to raise and lower it quite a few times and the bolts did not move. Powel, I will probably take the bolts back out and use Loctite to help secure them. Thanks for all of the help. Chumps