Author Topic: Chroming questions  (Read 1273 times)

IanC

Chroming questions
« on: February 02, 2021, 16:49:31 »
I want to re-chrome my door handle cylinders. The rest of the door handles are in good shape but the inferior part of the cylinders are quite worn (see picture). I have read in the posts how to get the cylinder and tumblers out but have not seen any reference to removing the chrome outer to have it chromed. Are there any tricks or complications to doing this?

As well, I have a small pit on the 250 SL trunk piece and wonder if anyone has found a way to address this without a full re-chrome.

Ian Connell

hoodude

• Inactive
  • Junior Level
  • USA, NC, Morganton
Re: Chroming questions
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 21:43:28 »
Graves in AL does show quality work.

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
Re: Chroming questions
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 01:05:39 »
Hi Ian - you didn't post the door handle photo. Personally I think if they're working fine leave them as is. They will only get scratched again anyway.
Hans (mbzse) can probably advise on how to separate the chrome casing. Hopefully he will see the thread. There is this earlier post stating it can be done but not how: https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=18597.msg129812#msg129812

For the pitting, try picking off the corroded bit with your fingernail (if they're strong), then rubbing with foil & light oil. Or fine brass wool if you can find it. Follow up with chrome polish and I think it will look good. Steel wool is too harsh and even those what-appear-to-be plastic household pot scourers can scratch.
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190