Author Topic: Freedom  (Read 5322 times)

RAY

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Bromley
Freedom
« on: February 01, 2021, 16:09:38 »
First Covid jab today ..... Hooray !
Second one in April, freedom is now just coming into sight.

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
Re: Freedom
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 18:14:20 »
Don't be overly optimistic. Although you have been vaccinated, you will still have to follow rules regarding masks and social distancing, proof of testing when traveling, etc.
Also, you can still get infected. Just your symptoms will be less severe.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

RAY

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 19:04:10 »
Personally I will feel a lot safer with 95% protection after my second jab and would probably wear a mask as well anyway, just to save getting into arguments. I have no problem with social distancing, so used to that now. Proof of testing when travelling - no problem just be great to travel. With the vaccine rate at half a million a day yesterday there is now light at the end of the tunnel.
Have to think positive !  :)  ;)

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 03:12:09 »
First Covid jab today ..... Hooray !
Second one in April, freedom is now just coming into sight.

I agree Ray, it is progress. 

Wife and I had our first injection on Jan 22 (Pfizer)  Second scheduled for February 12.  Absolutely no side effects to date.

One step at a time!
Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)

RAY

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 08:53:26 »
Yes progress and positivity is what we all need right now to lift all Nations even one step at a time but it will become a walk, then a jog and then a run to the finish.

We both had Pfizer to, no side effects apart from a slightly sore arm, but who cares.

Rothko

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, FL, Palm Beach
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 14:24:01 »
Congratulations on getting the vaccines!   It must be comforting, knowing that you are at least getting some level of protection that will most likely avoid any serious consequences if you run into the virus.

I've been able to get my parents vaccinated; dad has had both shots (Pfizer) and mom is getting #2 Moderna tomorrow.

I am impatiently waiting to become eligible.  It will be nice to start living a bit more like normal:  going to the gym; eating inside a restaurant; getting on a plane again; etc.

RAY

• Silver
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 18:13:23 »
Age wise we are not quite there yet but having said that we are no 'spring chickens' !

An elderly gentleman neighbour, 85, who we have been looking after, had not had an invite to get his jab locally so we rang a London hospital which has a vaccination centre and made an appointment, in making the appointment I was asked if we were his carers and asked if we would like the jab at the same time. Yes please !

So we all had a train ride to London, which he thoroughly enjoyed, and all got our first jab.

I guess that could be called ' Good Calma '

Merc_Girl

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, Godalming
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 22:50:12 »
Just rub it in Ray!  You go off and enjoy yourself whilst us minions remain locked in 🤣🤣

Enjoy your freedom, safely of course and with social distancing of course 😁
230SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 15:57:06 »
An elderly gentleman neighbour, 85, who we have been looking after, had not had an invite to get his jab locally so we rang a London hospital which has a vaccination centre and made an appointment...So we all had a train ride to London, which he thoroughly enjoyed, and all got our first jab.

Very nice of you to look after this man...and congratulations that he--and you--got the vaccines. They are not in enough supply here at the moment to offer such courtesies. Every dose is allocated. Some places are scheduling for May...

Every one of our states and territories is getting different allocations, based on what--algorithms?--that nobody knows. Every state also has its own plan and very few have been a poster child for efficiency. In the prior winter, over 175 million Americans received flu shots without so much as a blip on the medical system's radar screen. That's more than 50% of the population. Generally, no appointment needed, no mass inoculation sites, no crashing websites or scheduling phones that don't answer. Go to your doctor, an urgent care clinic or even many local pharmacies--even a Walmart for goodness sake--and get a flu shot. This is one massive failure so far. My father--aged 98--went to a Veteran's Administration clinic out of his state, because the state he lives isn't following our CDC protocols for vaccination. Apparently they think they know better; they said "there's nothing wrong with your father, he's got no underlying health conditions, and he's not in a nursing home. Back of the line!" At least the VA gave him dose one today.

My daughter jokes that perhaps Chick-Fil-A or Disney should manage it, firms well used to queue management and serving mass numbers in minimal time.

(for my non-USA friends, Chick-Fil-A is a chicken fast food restaurant that can handle massive volumes with minimal waiting...)
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

RAY

• Silver
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 17:02:19 »
I have read about some wealthy people becoming ' Vaccine tourists', jumping on there private jets and flying to Florida, Hawaii and even Alaska where age limits apparently do not apply ? and easily getting there jabs.
Great to hear your father finally got his today.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2021, 17:17:43 »
I have read about some wealthy people becoming ' Vaccine tourists'

Haha. Yes, it's true. Though, based on the long lines and elderly waiting in queue in Florida, that's one place I would not go...

I guess you could say my dad was a "vaccine tourist." He lives in Massachusetts, but this morning my sister drove him 20 minutes to Providence, Rhode Island. Different state. He would have driven himself but they insisted he be driven there on the oft-chance of a reaction...
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2021, 03:47:46 »
To bad your dad had to leave the state to get his injection, Michael, even if it was only a short drive.  It is good that he was successful.   There are many stories around about the varying experiences around the country.  You usually only hear the bad ones so I will relate ours. 

In early January the Alabama Health Department announced that Covid vaccine injections for priority group 1(b) would begin on January 18, while Group 1(a) would also continue.  Group 1(b) apparently varies from state to state but in Alabama it includes “Seasoned Citizens” 75 and over.  My wife and I fall in this group.  A few days later I received an email from the University of Alabama Medical Center inviting me to sign up on their web site for the injection.  We are in their database as we access some of our healthcare there.  I signed us up immediately and two days later we received confirmed appointments half hour apart for the afternoon of January 22.

UAB set aside a four story parking deck for the administration of vaccine.  Clear road signage was encountered starting about a quarter of a mile from the site. 

We entering at street level with no wait and were directed to the second level where three parallel lanes were formed.  There were 3 or 4 cars in front of us in each lane.  Vehicle windows remained closed until instructed otherwise.  At this stop photo IDs were collected through cracked side windows.  These were returned in a few minutes with a pre-printed permission form including our name and appointment time to be completed and signed.  The form had the usual questions about encounters with infected persons, fever and other symptoms experienced, etc.  Temperature was also measured.

We were then directed to the next level of the parking deck where the injections were administered though the side windows by medical teams on each side of the car. A record card was provided with details about the vaccine administered and the follow up appointments after three weeks.  A fifteen minute timer was provided and we were directed to the top deck of the facility for observation by medical staff.

When the timer expired, medical staff collected the timer and we were released to exit the parking structure. The elapsed time from entering the parking deck until exit was less than half an hour.   We are looking forward to a similar experience next week for the second injection.
Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)