Author Topic: Interior questions late 250SL  (Read 1507 times)

drooman

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, CT, Mystic
Interior questions late 250SL
« on: February 01, 2021, 00:04:37 »
1968 250SL  olive green VIN 004979

Trying to figure out some interior details here.

First is color of upholstery. Are these  dash parts "Natural" or "cognac" or "bamboo" ?

Next, notice the carpet.... square weave. I believe this car is supposed to have loop carpet. I read somewhere on here that the loop carpet started on later 250SL somewhere BEFORE my VIN....I think.

This square weave in my car  may be aftermarket. this quote from the technical manual says:

"A good way of telling if your carpet is original is if you have the molded rubber pad next to the accelerator pedal (i.e. the gas pedal) on your front tunnel carpet in exactly (!) the same way as John's (thelews) and (Badali)'s cars. If it is different, yours is aftermarket."

I don;'t know those guys or what their carpet looks like, but I have NO pad on my tunnel carpet so I'm leaning toward it being after aftermarket...right?

I also looked at the technical manual upholstery code section...its hard to tell what is going on on a later 250SL because it's obviously much like a 280SL interior... colors included? So If one's late 250SL was delivered Olive green (and this one was) what would be the upholstery color, and carpet color, and carpet type that would belong in here? would it have been from the "230 250" section of the upholstery codes? or the "280" upholstery codes?

If it should be loop carpet, is there a quality loop carpet available now? I read many threads on carpets in here and saw a fair number of complaints about poor quality loop carpeting being offered out there, but many of the threads were from quite a few years ago. What is the current known loop carpeting supplier (if any) where you dont see carpet backing right through the new carpet as it bends around the door sills? (i would find this unacceptable)

The carpet in the car now is worn, faded, and missing the floor mats, It also seems aesthetically "too light" for the other colors of the car to me. It "feels like" the car should have cognac or brown carpet, to my eye.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 00:23:34 by drooman »

mBdrvr

• Senior
  • USA, PA, Bethlehem
Re: Interior questions late 250SL
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 00:49:29 »
You should get your build sheet from Mercedes to see what the original color codes were.

Your dash is not cognac, Cognac is a similar color but has a red color on the grain high spots. Also it appears that the dash and binnacle don't match; no something the factory would do.

Original carpet pieces will have the last three digits of your VIN written in crayon on the back of some pieces.
Paul Greenblatt
'70 280 SL
'66 250 SE Cabrio
'60 190 SL

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 01:00:26 »
I just bought a new loop carpet set from German Auto Tops. My color is charcoal L907. It was delivered yesterday.  2 day turn around 👍

I tried to buy last year but the quality was terrible. The carpet manufacturer in Germany made changes and it is much nicer but still not like original. But that is expected this day and age.

Some of you may know that GAT was bought by GAHH recently. I wanted to buy before prices increased.

Do you have your data card? What’s your vin?  That will tell you your interior colors and material.
1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

col320ce

• Gold
  • Australia, Victoria, Glen Iris
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 01:30:59 »
Should be rubber around the gear lever so looks after market to me.
Col

1964 230SL
1965 250SE coupe
1993 320CE Sportline

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 01:39:03 »
I don’t see a toe guard on the driver’s side tunnel carpet either.
1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 04:59:26 »
Thought all 250s even late ones had square weave carpet not loop.  My late 250 vin04442 has square weave. 

250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

drooman

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, CT, Mystic
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 11:59:07 »
OK I think I'm closing in on it here. regarding a few replies made so far:

My VIN is posted in the first line of my first post.

According to the upholstery code charts any of the possible colors my panels are (Natural or Cognac for 230/250) would have had brown 6454 square weave.

I'm waiting on my datacard, but it seems that very few cars deviated from the published combinations.

This car will never be totally "correct" again anyway (has a 1969 280SL engine) so I'm also considering loop carpeting, and considering some creativity with the carpet color, so I'd still like to know who is selling the best loop carpet out there currently.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 13:32:42 by drooman »

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 00:31:59 »
"Natural" or "cognac" or "bamboo"

Hello Doorman,

Clearly natural or bamboo, but not cognac, since it is not two-tone ...
Appears to be vinyl (MB-Tex) to me.

230ies and all 250ies had the same interior codes, only 250ies had a very few less.
As Aslam (Kampala) stated, all and really all 250ies had square weave carpet, not multi-loop, never.

Pls, see also here:

https://www.sl113.org/wiki/DataCard/UpholsteryCodes

114 (natural) could be your code. Or 210 or 219 if leather (both natural, but different) but not cognac 216
Please see your datacard, it will have the interior code.

The brown 6454 square weave carpet _is_ available, for sure.
Maybe not from every supplier, but the material is available.

Achim

Achim
(Germany)