Author Topic: Chrome Dash Air Vent  (Read 1967 times)

balimatharu

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Coventry
Chrome Dash Air Vent
« on: January 25, 2021, 19:45:04 »
I thought this might be helpful for someone who is repairing the broken studs on the chrome vents.
I just successfully rebuilt the retaining studs.
I used dental titanium pins and epoxy resin. Instead of epoxy, dental filling composite could be used.
Just need to drill down about 1.5 mm and thread in the pins using finger and thumb.
I have taken a few photos which explains the procedure.
I previously used the same procedure to enhance the indicator cancelling mechanism.
By the way I am a dentist. We use these pins frequently in the teeth.
I have more than four photos. I will make two posts.

Bali

balimatharu

• Senior
Re: Chrome Dash Air Vent
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 19:49:18 »
Some more photos

col320ce

• Gold
  • Australia, Victoria, Glen Iris
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 12:08:28 »
Great idea ... I am fortunate enough to be able to lay my hands on that material too.  I have a few which need repairing ...
Col

1964 230SL
1965 250SE coupe
1993 320CE Sportline

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 21:19:54 »
Good idea. Have you managed to replicate the original doametr of the pins? They look a little larger than original.

balimatharu

• Senior
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 20:45:15 »
I have done the second one. This time I used composite light cure. This is stronger than epoxy and cures in 30 seconds to full strength. I have taken a photo of the completed job and I have fitted it as well.
Of course similar pins were used.
Rubbed down to fit. Fitted well.

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 20:51:29 »
I think you might have provided a cure to heel effects of many disasters happening during dismantling of these vents...
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

mtoomey

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, MA, Cohasset MA
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 20:58:52 »
Amazing work, very well done

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 00:05:39 »
I agree. They're rather poorly engineered and very prone to breaking those pins off or the small hook near the bottom. Good fix that doesn't show and probably stronger than original.  I like these kinds of repairs.  GOOD WORK YOUNG MAN!!!!  ( you're hired )
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

balimatharu

• Senior
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 09:40:56 »
Bought my car 4 years ago. At that time the signal switch won’t cancel when returning the steering back.
Took the steering wheel off and managed to find out the reason. The plastic bit was just touching the cancelling plate on the steering shaft but but not protruding into the notch.
Took the switch out. The plastic bit would fully extend. Came to the conclusion that the plastic bit is worn down.  Tried different types of resins, glues etc. Nothing sticks to it.
I used the same procedure to extend the trigger point. Used 4 pins cut down to 1.5. and cured the resin on it. Polished the end and reduced to 1mm. It worked the treat.
Unfortunately I didn’t take any photos.

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 10:05:36 »
Presumably, this being dental equipment, it is not readily available to us mortals?

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2021, 16:20:37 »
Presumably, this being dental equipment, it is not readily available to us mortals?

Get with the program, Stick!  It's the 21st century and the internet is here! https://thedentalmarket.net/dental/pins-posts/  note their logo says "open to the general public"  ;)
I'm sure the same kind of online source is also in UK...unless there is any truth to the British aversion to dentistry... ;)

I agree. They're rather poorly engineered and very prone to breaking those pins off or the small hook near the bottom. Good fix that doesn't show and probably stronger than original.  I like these kinds of repairs.  GOOD WORK YOUNG MAN!!!!  ( you're hired )

Of course you know this bizarrely engineered piece was NOT designed to be repeatedly taken off and replaced. The pot metal casting gets brittle with age, too--making the task +50 years that much more difficult.

When I did not know any better in my restoration, I managed to completely remove, disassemble and have the main parts all replated. We did not plate the vanes as there was too great a risk of losing one in the tank or finishing. But, the rest of the assemblies were plated, reassembled and reinstalled without breaking anything. A miracle. I'd never attempt again!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 20:44:55 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid