Author Topic: Color Combination Information Please  (Read 7095 times)

n/a

Color Combination Information Please
« on: May 13, 2003, 08:50:11 »
I am the proud new owner of this 1969 280 SL.
Through my search of over a year, I found only one other of this color combination (Black with Palamino).  
Does anyone know if this is a "rare" combination?
Thanks for the info...
Phil Neely
Download Attachment: Right Side View.JPG
KB
Download Attachment: Front View.JPG
43.66 KB
Download Attachment: Left Side View.JPG
69.52 KB
Download Attachment: Rear View.JPG
57.09 KB

Albert-230SL

Re: Color Combination Information Please
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2003, 09:47:11 »
Hi Phil,
Congratulations for your new baby! It's a very nice color combination, and it seems to have the early style rear lights (in my opinion, nicer than later lights).
According to our data base section, black bodies (code 040) were combined with many interior colors: light red, light gray, cream, light yellow antique, rusty red, eggshell... Is "Palamino" the official name of the color? Do you know the code number of your interior? Is it leather or MB Tex?  If you know that code, it would be more easy to check it.
Regards,
Albert de la Torre Chavalera
Barcelona (Catalunya/Spain)
Feb.'64 230 SL Euro 113042-10-002432

Douglas

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 10:35:19 »
phil,
very handsome car in a particularly striking color combination. seems like it's been updated throughout to 280 SL specs. is the dash also a late-model dash? just curious.
congrats on a beauty.
Douglas Kim
New York, NY

n/a

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2003, 16:04:06 »
In all of the receipts I found one for covering the dash with Leather to match the new Leather seats.  To my knowlede, that is the only thing different on the dash.
Thanks for you comments!
Phil

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2003, 16:26:49 »
Great looking car!
Can't tell exact color from the photos, can anyone give me a word description of the difference between "Palimino" and "Cognac" interiors?
Richard M (with a cognac interior)
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

Douglas

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2003, 16:31:13 »
wow, am i a dummy! for some reason, i thought you said it was a 230 SL, so that's why i mentioned your car had been "updated" to 280 SL specs.
forgive me. so your question is whether this is a rare combo. i've seen it before on a couple of occasions, though one can never be sure if it's original unless you hear it confirmed, of course.
there was a car in this exact color combo in denver a few years back at a classic car dealer. i had extensive pix of it. is this that car?

Douglas Kim
New York, NY

n/a

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2003, 16:45:52 »
Congac is most likely correct. The exterior is Black....
Phil

n/a

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2003, 16:49:40 »
This SL was restored in Iowa about 8 years ago by a guy who used only Pelham Bros. Inc. to do all the work.  He sold it then to a Woman here in Dallas, she had it transported and has driven it less than 2,000 miles in the past 5-years....
Phil