Author Topic: Trunk/boot hinge problem  (Read 2647 times)

col320ce

• Gold
  • Australia, Victoria, Glen Iris
Trunk/boot hinge problem
« on: January 08, 2021, 05:14:04 »
When I close the trunk the the hinge is getting to its maximum movement just before the trunk closes. This means that the lid needs slight force to close and that the left side of the lid isn't sitting properly.
I can't see any adjustment in the trunk lid hinge and other than assubd shims I can't see how to fix this.
The hinge does not look bent/deformed.
The picture shows where the hinge is hitting itself... The green and yellow lines "hit" as the trunk closes.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
Col

1964 230SL
1965 250SE coupe
1993 320CE Sportline

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
Re: Trunk/boot hinge problem
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 14:26:53 »
Trust me, the hinge is bent ever so slightly.  Note the missing paint along the radius of the curved portion of the hinge.  That paint is missing because that edge of metal was stretched ever so slightly as bending occurred that made that radius tighter and the paint was unable to stretch with it. 

The trunk and soft top lid hinges are interconnected such that neither of them can be open simultaneously.  Notice that if you have the trunk open and try to open the soft top lid, as you begin to raise the soft top lid the trunk lid begins to close. those pieces you identified that meet are part of what makes this happen.  They shouldn't meet until the trunk lid is fully closed but are meeting sooner because of a bent hinge.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

col320ce

• Gold
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 20:19:41 »
Thanks for confirming that Mike... Do you know if they can be simply bent back (obviously removing them to do this)?
Col

1964 230SL
1965 250SE coupe
1993 320CE Sportline

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 20:32:33 »
Very likely yes, but, because there are probably only a few right ways v.s. limitless wrong ways to go about it, someone with practical knowledge about how to accomplish this should chime in with that advice.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

col320ce

• Gold
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 20:55:33 »
Thanks Mike. I'll pull them out today and compare left and right (the right seems ok - or at least is not "hitting")... I think with the torsion bars removed I can slowly make adjustments and check but and further advise would be greatly appreciated!
Col

1964 230SL
1965 250SE coupe
1993 320CE Sportline

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 22:45:24 »
If the right one is not hitting then it is likely that only the left is bent. 

When the trunk is fully open, compare the gap between the right hinge and the edge of the trunk opening on the body with that of the left hinge and the forward edge of the trunk opening (the transverse body section between the trunk lid and soft top lid).  The gaps will be different.  The difference is likely due to the left hinge being "sprung" a bit as a result of some past pressure on the left side of the trunk, either as a result of wind or other force when open or a past shunt to the left rear corner of the car.

Before you remove everything from the car, try detaching the trunk lid only from its hinges. Outline the position of each hinge on the trunk lid before removal.  With the hinges "down" compare how they lay in relationship to each other and the edges of the side opening along the rear fenders.  Measure the distance from the forward edge of the trunk opening (the transverse section between the trunk lid and soft top lid) to the where the "curve" ends and the flat area to which the trunk lid attaches begins.

In a perfect world the flat areas should be parallel to the side edge and equidistant from the forward edge. The left hinge will probably be higher than the right hinge and the distance shorter as well.   

Then compare the angles of the hinges when they are fully "up" as far as they can go.  They should be parallel to each other but won't be.  You will likely find that the left one sticks "up"  and is perhaps more "forward" more than the right one. 

The task is to correct the angle of the left hinge such that it parallels the fully closed position and distance from the forward trunk opening of the right hinge, and the curvature and fully open angle of the right hinge.  When done they should mirror each other in both the fully open and closed positions. 

As to how to actually reshape the hinge itself, you may be able to build up a stack of wood planks in the trunk to a suitable height to be able to bend the hinge down and rearward against the stacked wood in stages until its shape mirrors the right hinge.  The specific area that needs reshaping is that area of the "curve" where the paint flaked off.  Using planks should spread the pressure exerted on the trunk floor over a wide enough area to prevent damage to the floor, and soft wood like pine under the hinge itself ought to be soft enough to absorb and minimize some of the bending stress on the hinge itself.

Since the object of the exercise is to reshape the left hinge to mirror the shape and position of the right and no tweaking was done to the right hinge, on reassembly you should be able to secure the trunk lid to the right hinge to exactly as it had been before disassembly.  The final positioning of the left hinge to the trunk lid will be a matter of loose fit trial and error until you get just the right fit of the trunk lid to the opening when closed.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 00:26:37 »
Also don’t discount that the fixing points in the boot/deck, lid due to the softness of the metal, may have also moved as i found out during my long drive in USA and having too much packed in trunk/boot and forcing closed the trunk lid.  The rear left corner popped up and from that point was mis-aligned until i removed the Boot lid and straightened out the fixing points on my return home.
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

col320ce

• Gold
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 12:50:07 »
Fixed the issue today... thanks for everyone input.
It was hard to see where the problem actually was/is.  Although the hinges are slightly different the curve of both left and right were identical and this part of the hing is very strong.  The weakest point is the bit that I'm pointing to in the photo.  If the hinge is forced open too far this, in my opinion, is the place that will deform (first).  I reshaped it (flattened it a little) and got to the point after a few goes of getting the boot/trunk lid to shut without the hinge getting to its "full extent".
The lid now closes perfectly.  This made no change to the fitment of the soft top lid.
Col

1964 230SL
1965 250SE coupe
1993 320CE Sportline

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 15:23:38 »
Makes perfect sense!  And, because  that finger had been bent out of alignment it is possible that it no longer properly engaged with the soft top lid hinge to prevent both of them from being raised simultaneously.  I'm glad that the trunk lid hinges were not seriously deformed by whatever force deformed the finger in the first place.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 20:29:54 »
Congratulations,

I hope that you were able to accomplish this without removing the torsion rods.  If you removed them, I expect that putting them back was a once-in-a-lifetime traumatic experience - all bad!  If you removed and reinstalled the torsion rods, please explain your actions (how you did it).  When I did it, and wrote the procedure afterwards to put in the TM, I swore never, never, never to do it again.  You didn't even curse once when you wrote your last post.

Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

col320ce

• Gold
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 21:17:16 »
Hi Tom
I have not put the rods back as I am painting the car ... unless you recommend that I do put them back first (I think they are supposed to be painted dark grey with the boot/trunk).  I saw some notes on the forum about them losing their stiffness after being cooked as part of the painting process.
Have you got the dimensions of your tool ... your notes were invaluable as metal flew across the room  ;)? I made one but it was too chunky and not strong enough.  I think I'll need a better one to put things back.
Col

1964 230SL
1965 250SE coupe
1993 320CE Sportline

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 22:11:35 »
I had to remove mine prior to "dipping". Its not fun to put them back together. Toms instruction's are great. I doubt that the relative low heat from painting will effect them. I would definitely re-assemble them prior to painting.
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 22:26:41 »
Dear col320ce,
No, I don't have dimensions of the tool.  I hand made it to fit the end of the torsion rod where  attaches to the hinge, and to be able to be disassembled and reassembled to fit the other rod where it attaches to its hinge.  I gave it to someone on this w eb site but don't remember who.  I'll try to find out who I gave it to by searching my old emails and messages.
Tom Kizer
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2021, 22:38:51 »
I made one. A little flimsy but it worked.
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

col320ce

• Gold
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2021, 22:48:53 »
I'll probably put it back in then! The person doing the painting and body repairs is coming around to inspect everything today so I can confirm that it won't be a problem to put back in.
Col

1964 230SL
1965 250SE coupe
1993 320CE Sportline

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2021, 23:57:05 »
It may not matter but I was told to insure the trunk lid fits with the seal in place prior to paint.
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

col320ce

• Gold
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2021, 01:24:28 »
I just remove the seal last week!!  I might hop in the boot and pretend to be the seal (push up) to check that everything is ok :o
Col

1964 230SL
1965 250SE coupe
1993 320CE Sportline