Author Topic: W11X early window power switch  (Read 2187 times)

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
W11X early window power switch
« on: December 18, 2020, 05:15:48 »
I have the early style switches that are mounted on the door panels. On the driver’s panel, there is a “power switch” that is a single that is adjacent to the 4 gang switch.

My question is what do the different positions do? There are three - one where the rocker is in the middle, on one side that is a momentary and then one side where the switch locks in position. 

Thanks.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: W11X early window power switch
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 06:39:03 »
Check to see if the single switch dis-ables the rear window switches.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 15:46:19 »
Unfortunately, I have everything disassembled. I am doing a complete window overhaul. Cleaning and lubing regulators, lubing the gear heads, replacing slides and rollers and rebuilding the switches. So I cannot do much in the way of on the car testing.

The power switch is about the same as the other single switches, except it has a different well where the spring loaded ball sits. With a standard window switch, both sides are momentary. With the power switch, one side is momentary and the other holds. There is a wall in the bottom of the well that holds the ball and keeps it from returning to the neutral position.

Based on the switch design, it looks like the neutral position (middle) would killl the power to the window motors because there are no contacts. My guess is that the position where the switch is held is the normal operating position. The other momentary position is for emergency power to the windows when the key is out. I think that is correct, but want to confirm. Hopefully not too confusing.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 04:06:14 »
I found some info in an owner's manual, but it is confusing. By the way, Mercedes calls it a "Safety Cut Out Switch".

It says with ignition on:
- With switch in lower position, you can use the individual switches or the control panel (on driver's door). I am pretty sure, this position has a lock on it allowing it to stay engaged.
- With switch in center position, only the control panel can be used
Presumably this center position is the cut out and will not allow the other window switches to operate.

It goes on to say that with ignition switch off, windows CANNOT be operated (except on some earlier models). My 280SE is #405 in production and so very early. Indeed, my cutout switch has three positions. Upper, lower and center. The manual say nothing about the upper position. I remember it being momentary and probably is the emergency window power. I absolutely remember that you could operate the window without the key. Just not sure which position now and it is dissassembled.

Can anybody confirm this?

Thanks.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe

lpeterssen

• Vendor
  • Gold
  • USA, FL, Miami
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 12:30:50 »
Dear Wallace

As you said the three position cut off switch has the functions already described.

The upper position which has to be pressed in order to be used, as switch does not stay there, allows you to operate any window with the ignition switch in the off position. You have to press this switch and at the same time the window toggle switch corresponding to the door you want to operate.

The center. Position of the switch disables all the windows, except the driver power window, by means of cutting ground to those motors.

The lower position which is the normal state, brings ground to all power windows, therefore each individual user can operate the window next to them.

See attached diagram for further detail.

Best regards
L.peterssen
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 21:48:39 by lpeterssen »

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 01:49:32 »
Perfect and a great explanation! Thank you.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe