Author Topic: Becker and lots of noise coming from stereo with the engine running?  (Read 3155 times)

dldubois

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Pembroke Pines
Just had my Becker worked on and reinstalled.    Getting a buzz in the stereo which is super annoying.   If I don't start the car there's very little.   Once I start the car I've got a lot of noise in the stereo.   Thoughts on cause?     Something not grounded well?   There some noise suppression I'm missing?     I've got the original old Becker Mexico with a power pack.   

Thanks much for any help.
Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Pembroke Pines, FL

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
Re: Becker and lots of noise coming from stereo with the engine running?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 01:29:08 »
Body of radio grounded?
Black wire from radio (one of the wires of the grey cable) connected to the little tab on the Becker amp?
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

dldubois

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 02:50:28 »
yep,  got that one.    Thinking time to take back out and see if there's something I missed.
Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Pembroke Pines, FL

dldubois

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 16:10:17 »
I’m still stuck figuring this out.   Mmm
Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Pembroke Pines, FL

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 21:40:58 »
Do you have the copper fingers mounted on you hood lid lock. This is to be on Pagodas with radios for static reduction. Let me know if you don’t have the fingers and I will send you a photo of them.
Bob
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 22:39:39 »
You may want to check in the Technical Manual what was the suppression kit for Becker for our cars. I would dare to say you do not need all of those items, but the proper condenser at the alternator and good grounding are important (radio, hood, antenna, radiator).

The thing next to the hood lock mentioned in the previous post is called "Bronze Spring Thing" on this forum - when you search it, you will find it. I bought it from Authentic Classic a couple of years ago.

But honestly: my radio stopped making noise after sent for overhaul to the SL Shop. It was internal radio issue.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

dldubois

• Silver
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 02:45:50 »
Ok,   removed stereo and checked all connections including grounds and we're good.     As it had always been.    When I turn the stereo on before starting the car we ARE ALL SET, no issues.     Once I start the car I get all the feedback / noise.

1. Is there a way to EASILY test the suppressor?    Looks like there might be a couple per the threads I've checked.

2.  Is there an easy aftermarket solution? 

Not happy as I just had Becker rebuild the deck and add bluetooth to my Mexico Cassette (great work) but due to this I can't yet enjoy it.   Prime time of the year down here in South Florida.

Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Pembroke Pines, FL

jim 56

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, NY, Bellerose
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 14:56:12 »
I don't know if this is true but I have been told that the fuel pump can be a source of high frequency static in an AM radio.Inside the fuel pump going from the the terminals to the brush holder the wire should look like a spring.It is actually wire wrapped around a graphite core.According to the person I talked to if you just use a piece of wire you will get static.A fuel punp rebuilder from euro parts said that when they rebuild the pumps they use a RF choke as the grapic piece is no longer avaible.I also heard that if you are still using ponits that if you're condensor is going bad that can also be a source of radio static.

lpeterssen

• Vendor
  • Gold
  • USA, FL, Miami
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 12:05:51 »
Buy a noise suppression kit.  Or as Pawel says look for the original Becker installation manual which requires the iconnection of an in line condenser at the ground side of your ignition coil.

See pictures attached.
Regards
L.peterssen
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 19:56:20 by lpeterssen »

dldubois

• Silver
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 17:42:05 »
Thanks for the input.    I've traced the old and its connected as it should be.        Ordered a kit.     For the minimal cost it was definitely the way to go.     Thanks,
Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Pembroke Pines, FL