Author Topic: An Elbow In Soft Top  (Read 1238 times)

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
An Elbow In Soft Top
« on: November 22, 2020, 23:06:28 »
I would like a kind advise on this. I have an elbow on both sides, the upper frames are pointing down. Does not bother me enough to go through a major soft top overhaul (which is what it takes, as I read, to get rid of it) but I was wondering what would experienced Members say to this particular case.

During raising the soft top, the side frames are straight. But when they are straight, the two studs that go into the windshield frame are good 1 to 1.5cm behind the orifices in the windshield frame. When I push up the front of the top, it clicks up a bit, elbows get formed and the studs are in the orifices, so that I can lock the roof. The roof is locked, but with these elbows.

I could move the roof forward, I have 3-5mm space for the rear of the window glasses on both sides. But I am afraid 3-5mm is not 1-1.5cm I need for the studs to engage in the orifices in the windshield.

I followed: glass fit to hard top, soft top fit to glass. Everything fits, except these elbows.

Is there any way to fix it without overhaul of the soft top?

I do not suppose moving the soft top forward 3-5mm will do the trick as I need more movement in the front...
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
Re: An Elbow In Soft Top
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 23:38:33 »
I don’t know what you mean by “elbows”. Can you post a pic? 

I have my soft top positioned as far forward as it will go to get the soft top studs into the windshield holes (2 bolts each side where frame attaches to car)
1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 07:29:36 »
Sorry: someone called it this way in the Technical Manual, I could not think of another way of expressing it.

Quote form Technical Manual: "The problem in which the “elbow” above the window will not straighten, is usually caused...". BY the way: the cause mentioned here is not my case, I think.

It is about the two parts of the side frames above the windows forming an angle pointing downwards, rather than being straight and level, when the soft top is stretched and anchored in the windshield frame.
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 10:24:03 »
Ok. I understand now. How many shims do you have under the mounting brackets (each side) of the soft top frame?  Maybe you have too many shims that cause the elbow?  I would still suggest moving the soft top forward as much as possible. Every little bit helps.

1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 11:02:56 »
I think there quite a few shims there...

Ok, I will try to move it a bit, as much as glass allows, see how far the studs will be form the orifices in the windshield frame.

Thank you!
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class