Author Topic: Someone selling cheap aluminum steelies 6" on Peachparts...  (Read 3389 times)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Someone selling cheap aluminum steelies 6" on Peachparts...
« on: November 18, 2020, 03:20:35 »
Here's the link:

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/mercedes-benz-used-parts-sale-wanted/409229-fs-set-6-alloy-wheels.html

I have no affiliation with the seller.  It's just a crazy-good price if you are looking for aluminum steelies...

Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: Someone selling cheap aluminum steelies 6" on Peachparts...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 16:54:14 »
Are there clips that would allow me to place two-piece 230SL wheel covers on these wheels?  I don't see any nubs on the wheels to keep the central cap on, and the beauty rings have their own clips, I believe (been years since I had them off my car).

And, I was confused by "aluminum steelies"  They are either aluminum or steel, not both.  I read the thread and now understand that you mean "aluminum wheels in a typically steel style".
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 17:01:34 »
Are there clips that would allow me to place two-piece 230SL wheel covers on these wheels?  I don't see any nubs on the wheels to keep the central cap on, and the beauty rings have their own clips, I believe (been years since I had them off my car).

And, I was confused by "aluminum steelies"  They are either aluminum or steel, not both.  I read the thread and now understand that you mean "aluminum wheels in a typically steel style".
1.  No.  These only work with full wheel covers.
2.  They are aluminum wheels that look like steel wheels.  They weigh 11 pounds each instead of 23 pounds each.  You can read a little bit about them here:  https://www.sl113.org/wiki/WheelsTires/Alloys

Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 23:26:29 »
Scott,
Is it considered sacrilege to paint these?  I'm thinking the stripe may be important to people?  Wouldn't a stamped part number be what's important?
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 00:52:24 »
Is it considered sacrilege to paint these?  I'm thinking the stripe may be important to people?  Wouldn't a stamped part number be what's important?
It's fine to paint the wheels (or powder coat them).  Don't sandblast them - it will pit the aluminum.  You can have them media blasted if needed if you want to powder coat or paint....   The is nothing sacrilegious about painting them because they are already INCREDIBLY unoriginal to Pagodas.  These are from W123 sedans dated 1980 - 1982.  US market only.  But with full wheel covers on you can't really tell anything about the wheel underneath...
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 00:54:07 »
FWIW I used aluminum steelies on my 1985 300TD wagon and on my 1971 W114 250C.  I _did not_ use them on my 250SL because I wanted the dog dish / trim ring look which doesn't work well with the aluminum steelies.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

teahead

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, WA, Des Moines
  • aka "Rob"
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 05:19:02 »
I would snag these if I already didn't have a set.

Somone with a 280SL should snag em!
1970 280SL auto, AC - aka "Edelweiss"