Author Topic: Trailer Hitch Receiver  (Read 4961 times)

John Betsch - "SADIE"

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, SOUTHOLD
Trailer Hitch Receiver
« on: November 09, 2020, 15:21:28 »
I am looking for any information about the trailer receiver bar.  There was a posting 12/19/2017 entitled 113 Tow Hitches which showed a picture of the hidden hitch.  My car is a '65  "Germany" market 230SL delivered to Koln May 1965.  It has the same hidden trailer bracket with a receiver connection as shown on the attachment.  That bracket opening is round implying the receiver/ball bracket would be round.  Does anyone have any info about the receiver/ball. 

I am looking to obtain one so I have the complete assembly for originality/authenticity (would never use it)  Any recommendations/info would be appreciated

The trailer hitch has been noted as option 550.  Does anyone know if a hitch as I described would be a M-B part?, dealer installed? or just an after market owner install?

v/r

JB
JB; 1965 German market SL, Rot Met 571, Summary Code 213 Interior

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Trailer Hitch Receiver
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 18:25:59 »
JB,

Perhaps someone in Europe will weigh in...

Curiously though, isn't there something else required? You couldn't possible have a round bar just clamped to that; it would have to be attached with some kind of through-bolt to the rear subframe, right?
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

FresnoBob

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Fresno
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 18:35:04 »
My 1966 230 SL came from Northern Germany and had a trailer hitch installed.  I understand the previous owner used to haul piglets to a farmer's market in Gronau.  I still have the hitch sitting in my attic here in California.  The pieces are rather long for shipping though. 
Bob Comstock
1966 230 SL Euro Auto
2017 AMG C43 Cabriolet

John Betsch - "SADIE"

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, SOUTHOLD
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 18:45:01 »
Mike, not sure if my pix was understandable.  That is a view looking from the rear.  The subframe support runs the entire width of the car hidden by a body skirt.  I am guessing the receiver with the ball attached slides into that hole somehow.  I tried looking at Oris and westphalia hitches and they have something "similar" but a square modern type connection

jb

FresnoBob

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Fresno
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 19:07:19 »
Actually, the receiver bar goes through the subframe mount and attaches to the body in front of the gas tank.  Here is a side view of the ball bar, which is 37 inches long.  I still struggle to imagine someone driving this car with a trailer full of piglets.  Wish I had a picture of that. 

Bob Comstock
1966 230 SL Euro Auto
2017 AMG C43 Cabriolet

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 19:49:59 »
The trailer hitch has been noted as option 550.

This is a
Oris D37.
Not Westfalia (here).

Those were always (...), almost always dealer installed, not at the factory.

I'll get a pic of the type plate next to the plug socket.
You need that for registration purposes.

Piglets.... ah no.
You can also tow lighter things with a hitch other than farming goods.

Try to dig out the picture.

Achim
Achim
(Germany)

• Platinum
Re: Oris D37, Markgröningen
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 19:57:43 »

[pic]
Achim
(Germany)

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 19:59:35 »

've got also a pic how that thing looks like when mounted under the tank.

Somewhere...
I go and dig deep.

Achim
(Germany)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 20:44:29 »
In the USA we do things a bit differently; what a surprise. Trailer hitches are generally two piece: a receiver (sturdily mounted to a structural member on the car) which RECEIVES the ball unit. Two of my cars have built-in from the factory receivers, but the ball assembly is the responsibility of the owner. The receivers are classified by weight, in Class 1-Class 5. My two Ford SUV's (Edge and Flex) both have Class II receivers, though they carry different tow limits. Class 1 is a very small capacity, for smaller cars. Class III would be on a lighter duty pickup truck, and the more robust the pickup is, will determine if class 4 or 5. A RAM3500 or GMC3500 may qualify for a Class 4 or 5. The receivers are generally 1" square for Class 1, and 2" square for higher.

I mention this since it seems to be vastly different than what I used to see in Europe, though it's been some years. The photos presented here of the Pagoda hitch assembly matches my memory: an integral ball on the end of a round bar that simply disappears under the car. No visible receiver, no interchangeable ball.  I did used to see very lightweight "caravans" towed by the thousands from Northern Europe to Southern Europe for the summer holidays.

While it may be nostalgic to keep this on your car for an homage to the past, your legs will thank you if you leave it off.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

John Betsch - "SADIE"

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, SOUTHOLD
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 21:26:37 »
Thank you to everyone.  This has been very enlightening.  I too had assumed it would be a small receiver bar as mike mentioned, which when I think seriously about it wouldn't be logical.

JB

rennsport

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2020, 18:45:44 »
Have you looked at Bosal? Think hitches are now sold through oris to see if they can be of help.

https://www.oris-automotive.com/

MikeMiles

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 13:10:19 »
Many thanks folks,
Jumping in on and older stalled thread here as I'm looking for similar info. I have had by beloved Pagoda for twenty odd years and have wanted a towbar for some time.  I finally found one in Sweden but of the course the weld-on brackets were still on the donor car...  I'd really like some drawings or dimensions of these brackets if anybody knows something?  I have trawled this site for all the tow hitch info, and also the general internet, though there's less info out there than in here. I contacted Oris/Bosal a while ago - but they didn't want to know...
I remember several years ago a Dutch guy posted up an account somewhere of his Pagoda restoration at home. A hugely competent job, even building his own body rotisserie! In it he detailed the fitting of his tow hitch, with details of fabricating the mounting brackets. That was before I found a tow hitch and I can't find his post again... :-(
I have subsequently trawled up fragments of the Mercedes Einbauanleitung for the Pagoda tow hitch, but it doesn't have page 2 of the 5 - I've attached it here in case it jogs anyone's memory, or even if they have a copy! ;-)
I can get the brackets fabricated, but it would be nice to have them just like the original, and it would be sooo nice to have page 2 of that installation instruction...
With thanks and best wishes
Mike

Desertpagoda

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, AZ, Tucson
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2021, 14:51:45 »
I have a couple of these Oris hitches if anyone needs one!
kb

scottschmelter@gmail.com

• Junior Level
  • USA, NY, Brewster
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2023, 10:55:20 »
Do you still have the tow bar and if you know anyone who has a roof luggage rack. Thank You 🙏

cfm65@me.com

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Mossel Bay, South Africa
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2023, 14:32:38 »
Many years ago, I towed a Hoby Cat, down to the beach and back with my Pagoda.
Chris
Cape Town
28 Ford Model A Pickup
29 Chevy Phaeton
67 E Type FHC
67 250SL 5 speed
83 911SC
2015 VW T5 California Pop Top

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2023, 04:31:35 »
My car is a '65  "Germany" market 230SL...
I don't think there was anything German-specific about how Pagodas were built or delivered.  The only European country specific things I recall being discussed are French headlights, Italian turn signals, and taillights for some countries.  I don't think "Germany market" specifies anything.

That being said, this hitch is interesting in how it attached forward of the fuel tank then runs below it and through a simple alignment bracket.  Not the most robust configuration.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2023, 00:19:59 »
I had a hitch receiver on my German spec 280SL. Now I noticed when I first got the car (20 years ago) that it Sat lower then othe Pagodas, after a inspection of the rear springs, I thought that I should set new springs from MB. So when I was switching out the old springs, I found out the old springs were not as huge when put next to my new springs. They were a shorter spring. Most likely the the springs were cut at somewhere in Germany, where the hitch was installed. This was done to lower the car to receive the trailer’s hitch height. You will not know that the springs have been shortened/cut, because of the rubber adjustment boots at the bottom of springs. So what I am saying is that those of you who have the installed hitch receiver, check the rear height of you car at the rear wheels, is it the same clearance as in the front, if not you might have the shorten springs.
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

• Platinum
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2023, 16:38:51 »

There is no adaptation necessary on the car with view to the coil springs when you want to mount an Oris or Westphalia trailer hitch system under the car.
Only prerequisite was that you had to weld in three little brackets, each twice the size of a matchbox, under the car, one in front and two behind the rear cross member.

Next time my car is on the 4-pillow car jack I can take pictures.
I have got an Oris D37 trailer hitch.
Not factory mounted.
I have got one friend with a 280 SL (Kurt), he has got a factory-installed trailer hitch. I "believe" Oris too
(AFAIK)....

A.
Achim
(Germany)

Duncan200

• Senior
  • Australia, Victoria, Rowville
  • Just started my Restoration
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2023, 21:03:49 »
I had these two brackets mounted to the rear chassis rail and behind the two bumper mounts when I purchased my car 6 years ago.

A trailer plug was fitted and the car had air adjustable gas shock absorbers fitted.

The piece that ran between the two that picks up the receiver was missing, but I suspect it’s not impossible to have something made up to go between them.

I highly doubt I ever will though.

Doug
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 22:00:01 by Duncan200 »
1966 MB 230SL DB 717 4sp Australian Delivered Matching Numbers Car. One day it will be back on the road in all its glory.
2000 MB CLK430 Convertible
2001 Nissan 200SX Spec S
2019 Audi SQ7 Special Edition

Desertpagoda

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, AZ, Tucson
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2023, 21:31:42 »
Yes, I have a couple Oris hitch setups in Tucson
kb

scottschmelter@gmail.com

• Junior Level
  • USA, NY, Brewster
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2023, 13:19:24 »
Please contact me at scottschmelter@gmail.com and 619-800-4149 to discuss. I would like to buy one complete set. 🙏

scottschmelter@gmail.com

• Junior Level
  • USA, NY, Brewster
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2024, 12:42:06 »
Please contact me at scottschmelter@gmail.com and 619-800-4149 to discuss. I would like to buy one complete set. 🙏

ejboyd5

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Southold, NY
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2024, 14:07:14 »
Trailers aren't always necessary although this arrangement might not work for piglets.

Davek1

• Regular
  • United Kingdom, England, Wells
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2024, 18:38:05 »
I give the owner10/10 for simple getting the timber in and getting it to stay there.

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2024, 20:54:59 »
A fine example of cantilever engineering!

Scott Schmelter - You should probably be active and reach out to the seller, not passive and wait to be contacted.  Also, I recommend people NOT put their personal information (email address, phone number, etc) on these forums.  These forums are open to reading by any people, and tools (AI bots), in the world and they can use your contact info to spam you, scam you, or even try to steal your identity.  I recommend you contact our forum admin to get your username changed from your email address to something normal.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL