Author Topic: A Remark on a Picture From Technical Manual on Hard Top - I Think it is Wrong  (Read 1158 times)

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
We have a picture there in the Tech Manual of a hard top latch (end of section). When I first assembled it this way, the herd top resulted sitting good half centimeter too high and the metal pieces that are holding it were bent by nut squeezing them.

The nut should go through the washer to the shelf that goes around the back of the top, then the metal piece, then rubber washer, then the plastic pieces locked by the pin.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
You can fix the Technical Manual yourself.

That’s the whole point of it. Do not rely on others to make the fix for you.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Pawel66

• Platinum
Peter, I would not dare. I am not qualified enough to mess around with Technical Manual. I contributed something in the past once it was sort of "approved", otherwise I would not touch it.

The correct picture of the latch is there, by the way, as part of the instruction.
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Pawel,
is it this picture that appears to be wrong?
https://www.sl113.org/wiki/uploads/Tops/Pin.jpg
If not, can you point us to the offending one?
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Pawel66

• Platinum
Yes Alfred, this is the one. If you assemble it like that, you will bend the metal plates and your hard top will sit too high by the thickness of the nut. There is another picture that shows where the nut and large washer are going. It is earlier in the instructions.
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class