Author Topic: Interior Questions  (Read 1661 times)

LA 280SL

Interior Questions
« on: October 20, 2020, 15:40:14 »
I made a post a few days ago about receiving a 69 280SL from a family friend (widow) with the charge to perform a renovation, level of such to be determined.  The car is a USA spec model.

This is my first exposure to the MB line of classics so I look forward to learning from you all and tapping into your experience. 

While I’m just beginning to look things over in the interior, there are a couple initial questions I have. 

1.  What is the purpose of the knob and small compartment behind the ashtray in the center storage piece?  The knob lifts up and turns about 1/8 twist, but it does not appear to be attached to anything.  The black rectangular compartment does not move, lift or hinge.   

2.  This toggle switch is mounted below dash, right about at the right knee. By looking at the wiring leading from it (I have not traced it yet), it appears after market to me.  I also have yet to flip it up or down with the car running, fear of  the unknown!

3.  All four of the AC-Heat control tabs are broken off and need replacement.  When on line searching, I see multiple colors of what appear to be the same part.  What’s this about?

4.  I see the wood speaker cover on the center of the dash In pictures is a raised platform with raised ribs on top of that. This speaker cover appears to be original, but is a completely different design.  No raised horizontal ribbing. 

Thanks fellas.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 15:49:46 by LA 280SL »

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
Re: Interior Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 16:01:38 »
Here you go.

1. Rear window defroster

2. Maybe a homemade CSV toggle switch. This is used to aid in starting. It’s wired to the CSV on the right side of engine. It provides extra fuel when activated. Search these forums. There is much info on it.

3. There are 4 knobs with 3 different colors. 2 red, 1 blue, 1 smoke. The smoke color is original but I believe you can find it in orange. Check out the Febi brand. If you are handy you can buy new Febi and resuse the old colored plastic. That’s what I did. There is a step by step thread here on the forum by TylerS.

4. You are correct. The center speaker grill should have raised ribs.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 16:32:01 by mrfatboy »
1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

Norm

• Silver
  • USA, TX, Wimberley
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 16:28:30 »
Another possibility for the toggle switch is the antenna function.  Typically, if the car had an automatic antenna, when the radio is turned on the antenna automatically raises.  Since I normally listen to music on my IPod through a hard wired jack to the radio, I installed a similar switch under the dash to prevent the antenna from extending when the radio is turned on.

I also have, what looks to be a dealer installed toggle switch from a 190 SL (mounted beside my headlight switch) that used to switch my horn function from "normal" to what I believe was a "country horn".  I have since removed the additional horn wiring and use the switch to manually activate a cooling fan that was installed when I added A/C.

I am sure there are other options for the toggle switch shown.

Norm
Norm
1966 230SL 162H Blue-Grey
1994 Acura NSX Formula Red
2024 Acura RDX A-Spec, White Pearl
2016 Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe Obsidian Black
2011 Harley Davidson Super Glide Light / Dark Root Beer

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 17:44:24 »
The toggle switches are located on a shelf behind the ashtray, which is original and specifically designed for these switches if the car was ordered with options that required the switches.

This shelf can be removed - remove the carpet, you will see screws holding it to wooden tray.

I have two of these switches: one is for window defroster and one is for rear fog light.

To check if you have rear window defroster: on upholstery of pillar B, drivers side, you would have a pocket with snap closure and two pole plug in this pocket - for connecting rear window defroster when hard top is on. Also: if your rear window is still with the heating function, when you placw white piece of paper behind it, you will see level wavy thin wires inside the glass (like in the windshield of modern Fords).

Rear fog lamp - easy to spot unless fallen off - then you should have wires somewhere near left rear bumper.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

LA 280SL

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 05:18:14 »
Thanks for the input fellas.  Much appreciated! 

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 11:57:02 »
The fog light and heated rear window switch are not toggle switches in my car.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner