Author Topic: Fuel sending unit 230sl broken interior wire  (Read 1097 times)

ksalzer

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, HI, Honolulu
Fuel sending unit 230sl broken interior wire
« on: September 27, 2020, 19:55:49 »
Hi - I"ve been having some issues with the fuel gauge and decided to have a look at the fuel sending unit inside the gas tank of my 65 230sl. It actually looks pretty good for not being touched for 50+ years. There was what appeared to be some crud on the inside, a flake of which was preventing the float from descending to its lower position. Problem solved. But the closer I looked I saw that the third wire inside the unit was broken. This is the almost spider web-thin wires that are within the unit itself. There are two across from each other that appear to guide the float, and a third wire, which is the one that's broken. Rather than buying an expensive new unit, is it possible to solder the wire back to the contact? Thanks in advance! --Kris

jim 56

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, NY, Bellerose
Re: Fuel sending unit 230sl broken interior wire
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 21:07:40 »
there is alot about this unit on another website just search for sending unit for MB.If you are lucky the broken wire is the thicker one which is for the almost empty light.If it is you may be able to solder it.The thin wires that guide the float are special resistance wire very hard to solder.

mnahon

• Silver
  • Canada, QC, Montreal
Meyer Nahon
Montreal, Canada
1968 MB 280SL Auto Euro LHD Silver
2021 Tesla Model 3