Author Topic: 230SL - differences between EU and US market Cars  (Read 1687 times)

Bracqtobasics

230SL - differences between EU and US market Cars
« on: September 25, 2020, 23:08:34 »
Hi all,

I’m currently in the ongoing process of helping my father search for a W113 and want to ensure that we make the right purchasing decision. Both my father and I prefer the look of the earlier W113s with the more abundant chrome detailing and subtle changes over the later iterations of the car and thus are looking most predominantly at the 230SL along with the 250SL.

Due to the disparity in prices between European market cars and those in the US we’re currently thinking of importing a 230SL from the States as opposed to purchasing one over here but was wondering if there are any key differences between the US original market cars and those built for Europe that would make one inferior to the other or radically different as was the case with many cars of its era.

I’m not expert myself being only 17, but I’m hoping to be able to gain even further insight on the W113 in addition to all of the very helpful advice I’ve already received from members of the 113 community. Any information on differences between the 230SLs would be greatly appreciated and I hope not to take up too much of anyone’s time.

Cheers!

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
Re: 230SL - differences between EU and US market Cars
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 07:46:52 »
Hi,
you can find the listing of all changes for all models here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mercedes-Benz-190-SL-Barock/dp/3613031175/ref=sr_1_2dchild=1&keywords=engelen+mercedes&qid=1601105794&sr=8-2 *
but not necessarily all country-specific changes.
It shows 555 changes during the whole production time: 448 - 230, 33 - 250, 74 - 280.
Sometimes a list of MB option codes are helpful too, showing country-specific options: https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=17988.msg125572#msg125572.
...WRe

* "Perhaps the most accurate and comprehensive book on the subject. Includes detailed history of the planning and development of the SL cars; extracts from company memos and papers, photos of early design ideas, and more. Comprehensive tables of specifications, data codes, running production changes, paint and interior schemes, more. GERMAN LANGUAGE ONLY."

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 15:57:43 »
Bracqtobasics,

I would (strongly) suggest you join up as a full member. This will give you full access to the site and all the details provided in the technical manuals. This would include access to the previous issues of Pagoda Notes, which about three years ago published the list of changes for the cars it includes the list of changes from the Engelen book (the German only book noted by WRe). The full description would be in the text, but the list will give a reasonable amount of insight into US and Euro..
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Bracqtobasics

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 19:24:07 »
WRe and Johnny B,

Thanks for all the advice and direction, I really appreciate it. Looks like I’ve got some good reading to do on the topic which I’m sure will further inform, although I might need to brush up on some of my German since I decided to take up Spanish at school instead!

I’ve been visiting the Mercedes-Benz classic media archives a fair amount to try and discern whether there are any differences between Euro 230SLs and US market examples but it evidently doesn’t have the same comprehensive information as the community as a whole and more in depth literature. The reason I’m intrigued is that I’d heard from an owner at an event several years ago that the US market 230SLs had an inferior suspension configuration to the EU market examples which made me wonder if there were any other significant changes that should influence my father’s purchasing decision.

Many thanks for all the help

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 20:18:12 »
The differences between US and Euro marlket may be considered significant in terms of optics by some people, but there are also differences in terms of engine (e.g. camshaft).  Go through the search on the forum. There are posts about it. Best: become a Member, go through Notes as well. You will not regret becoming a Member if you Dad buys a car.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 20:35:10 »
Good luck with your research and search.  If you end up looking in the US, or North America, keep in mind that some of these cars were actually originally European destination cars that were imported into the North America.  Easiest way to tell is look at the country of destination on the data plate in the engine bay.  For example, while I purchased my car in New York State, it was originally sold in Germany so it has all the Euro specs.  The second owner imported it into the US.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed