Author Topic: The smoke cleared (temporarily)  (Read 2067 times)

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
The smoke cleared (temporarily)
« on: September 19, 2020, 23:31:42 »
 Well, the smoke had cleared here in the foothills for a few days, at least temporarily, so we decided to celebrate our Pagoda’s 52nd birthday with a drive. Actually we went out yesterday and today and it was great to be out and about after 4 dreadful weeks being shut in the house (which we are already doing because of Covid) due to thick smoke.  The choking smoke from the hundreds of fires here in the west has been so thick with visibility down to about a half mile at times here at our home. The car ran great and even our 54 year old Blaupunkt radio (counting the time it was in 250SL :)) “blasted” out some tunes on the car’s dash speaker. Didn’t sound too bad, considering. When we got back home, I left the car out in the driveway and my “co-pilot” (she has earned her “wings” many times over and was certainly due a promotion) and I just stopped and looked back at the car before going in the house. So many wonderful memories we have had in that car and what a GREAT looking automobile it is.  It has been 10 years since we drove the car home from Ernie’s garage and  in that time, driven it nearly 7000 miles (regrettably, it has not been driven enough this past year). It still is a thrill to drive and I hope to continue doing so for many more years. I will post another photo next year with a 53 on the windshield. Stay safe and healthy to you all

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

wayne R

Re: The smoke cleared (temporarily)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 03:22:32 »
Wonderful story to share with us John,and i had to reply because although i have never
meet or know you,i used to drive passed your lovely small town placerville,dozens of times,while living in
Sacramento, mainly for day trips weekends to  Lake Tahoe in summer.
I miss it alot especially in last  18 months as i still go back to visit ,my best American friend
in Sacramento every second year.
He has  a very rare 1949 Buick Roadmaster ,76R hardtop cpe,--The first true hardtop made in US--.
only 4314 made, and has the big 320ci straight eight engine.
He was awarded  National first place ,and also a special award from Nicola Bulgari ,about 10 years ago
for this car,--John-- he would love to meet you if ever you go to Orangevale,and talk cars,he is very knowledgeable
and can repair any item on a classic car.
For those that dont know Nicola Bulgari,   i  will write a feature about him later in another area forum here.
John the years i lived there was  when you had about 6-7 years drought, smoke was not the problem,
but not enough rain,  and i love your Pagoda, a little  similiar to mine, but i have red interior,wish i had your
colour seating, not that keen on red.
Many thanks.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 13:40:37 by wayne R »

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 16:46:59 »
 Hello Wayne, Thanks for your reply and comments. I have my Pagoda serviced by Ernie Koch at his shop, Breman Motor works, which is in Orangevale so maybe the next time I go I could meet up with your friend. My Dad owned a '48 Buick Roadmaster 4dr and it was really something in it's day. I learned to drive in it and sitting behind the steering wheel with that long hood out front, you felt like you were in locomotive. He kept it until 1960 when he traded it in on a brand new Ford Falcon. Quite a different driving experience for sure. ;D

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 18:22:58 »
John

Happy 52nd!   

The smoke is also clearing in Southern California and visible ash has subsided but I think it’s just change in wind direction as the “bobcat” fire is still going and that’s one of the big ones in Southern California. 

The “daily breeze” that you had mentioned in another post is only online now (I think).  Their gorgeous 60’s style building became a health facility a few years back.  We still have the Beach Reporter in print. 

Best
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 04:58:28 »
Hi John, (Ed), congratulations to the 52 Birthday of your fine 280SL may she provide you with many more years of pleasure yet to come.

All the Best and stay Save!

Dieter

PS. So glad the smoke cleared for you and your co!l driver to take her out.

Edit, changed 250 to 280, sorry Ed and Rob, thanks for pointing it out, I miss read ... my bad ~s~
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 18:27:52 by Rolf-Dieter »
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

RobSirg

• Gold
  • Australia, Victoria, Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 09:40:48 »
although there were a couple of 250SL's made in 1968, I believe John's car is a 280SL.

All Pagoda's ……….so I am sure John's car is not overly offended :)
1969 280SL Auto RHD 906G,  H'top 387H, Parchm't
1970 280SL Man. RHD Dark Red 542G, Bamboo MB Tex
1962 E Type Jag BRG with Tan
1974 White Alfa Spider 2000
2023 Range Rover
1982 280TE (my daily)
1967 Alfa Spider ("Duetto") Red
1977 Yellow 911 Targa
1991 Nissan Figaro
1959 190SL Black
1970 300SEL 3.5

UJJ

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Grass Valley
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 15:28:06 »
Hi John,
congrats to the birthday of your Pagoda, mine will reach the 52 year birthday next year.
Living also in the foothills (Grass Valley) it was nice to see the smoke go away for a couple of days. I took her for a spin as well.
I just hope it stays that way, especially because I am attending the yearly "Ironstone Concours" close to Murphys CA. this coming Saturday.
This event is one of my favorite, because only "original" cars older then 1973 are be able to attend (no retromods, rats etc.)
Due to Covid 19 instead of having a large gathering it will be a rally of several groups of cars.
It will be fun.
Urban
Urban Janssen
Grass Valley, CA
1968 280 SL - 4speed manual
173 anthracite grey

wayne R

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 06:18:31 »
Hello Wayne, Thanks for your reply and comments. I have my Pagoda serviced by Ernie Koch at his shop, Breman Motor works, which is in Orangevale so maybe the next time I go I could meet up with your friend. My Dad owned a '48 Buick Roadmaster 4dr and it was really something in it's day. I learned to drive in it and sitting behind the steering wheel with that long hood out front, you felt like you were in locomotive. He kept it until 1960 when he traded it in on a brand new Ford Falcon. Quite a different driving experience for sure. ;D

John
Hi John, He would be really pleased to see you,especially that your service garage is near,
he is a incredable man ,these days because of age ,has finished crawling under classics cars,hear is a photo
of what he does,this one is a Radial engine,but he builds these from bare metal,or by hand,and displays  these fantastic
working engines all round nothern CA. and bay area,---I will PM you with his contact details.  Thankyou--Wayne.