Author Topic: Alternate Placement of Becker Radio  (Read 1852 times)

dakman29

• Senior
  • USA, WA, Spokane
Alternate Placement of Becker Radio
« on: August 26, 2020, 16:28:03 »
I am considering installing a radio delete plate on the dash where I currently have an original Becker Europa.  I'd like to keep the radio in the car as well though and I'm writing to ask if anyone has found a way to install the radio, perhaps below the dash where an ac unit might go, so that it still functions and activates the power antenna?

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Re: Alternate Placement of Becker Radio
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 16:33:51 »
I know a number of people have the original radio in place but it's a "dummy" with a working (modern) version in the glove box or under the seat controlled remotely.
I'd GUESS that the few owners than chose one of the new-fangled cassette players back in the day had to put them somewhere and under the dash would make most sense.
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

clunker

• Regular
  • USA, NJ, Chatham
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 19:42:25 »
My 280SL had an awful replacement Panasonic from a PO. I thought of getting a period unit, but decided to replace it with the blanking plate, as prefer the cleaner look (see my profile pic).

For sounds, I disassembled the existing, unused original cigarette lighter and put in a (compact) Bluetooth + amp circuit. I mounted the existing lighter knob on the end of the amplifier's switched potentiometer, and now it is now the twist volume / on-off. The BT antenna is in the courtesy light, as the metal dash could act like a faraday cage. I put the mic on outside front edge of wooden console box, by the gear lever where it is tough to spot.

It all still looks identical to original cigarette lighter / dash layout, and this mod is fully reversible back to the original lighter. All works fine, and was a simple, cheap mod - and  I now have music / hands free phone.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 19:47:01 by clunker »
Charles
1969 US 280SL 4-speed Red/Black
DB9 / 981 S / G300 SWB / CB750 / etc

dakman29

• Senior
  • USA, WA, Spokane
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 19:50:51 »
Great suggestion but my cig lighter is being utilized for another purpose (not to light a smoke). I agree that the delete plate looks great on the dash and I imagine an under dash placement wouldn’t be too tough to figure out.

wayne R

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 15:22:08 »
Dakman 29, When i purchased my Pagoda,lady had original Bec ker in trunk ,but she had
fitted a Panasonic sterio cd in Dash,with applifer under rear floor panel, so i removed cd , placed it under dash, with power from,
small  factory double fuse box on pasenger side, that is  hot wire, so i can use radio,with out turning
ignition on, same with my becker did the same, to same hot double fuse holder.
I can actually have  2 radios working together any time,with ignition off.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 01:59:39 by wayne R »

dakman29

• Senior
  • USA, WA, Spokane
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 03:53:19 »
Cool setup. Thanks for the pics.