Author Topic: Exhaust re/assembly  (Read 1277 times)

balimatharu

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Coventry
Exhaust re/assembly
« on: August 19, 2020, 20:14:43 »
Help.
I am trying to reassemble the stainless steel exhaust system on my RHD 250sl.
This exhaust came with the car and poorly fitted by the last owner. Most of the joints were leaking. The system is in good shape except where the clamps were fitted wrongly and had made dips as the the pipes were not fully pushed in. I managed to repair these areas.
My question is : what’s the right sequence to start assembling. I have purchased a comprehensive assembly kit from Niemoeller.
The whole system in pieces not welded.
Starting from the down pipes whether they should be first bolted to the manifold.
Anyone with patience.
Bali

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Exhaust re/assembly
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 03:47:36 »
Install the entire system loosely. get the clearances correct, hung correctly and then tighten everything up.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

balimatharu

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Coventry
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 08:07:14 »
Joe, thanks for a quick reply. I will be using some sort of joint sealant. Won’t the sealant dry up before I start tightening up.
Which is a good sealant.
Thanks
Bali

jeffc280sl

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 22:44:24 »
i think the most important connection is between the middle muffler and the pipes that connect the rear muffler.  in the time valve stainless system this joint is welded in a jig which sets the angles perfectly.  if this joint comes loose the middle muffler will drop down.  it will scrape on speed bumps and look bad.  if you get this joint wrong the rear muffler can become twisted and the rear exhaust tips will not be level.  joe is always correct in his advice.  i suggest you set the system up where it needs to be and then have this important joint welded.  i know this from experience with my first SL in the 70's.  good luck