Author Topic: Trivial pursuit: Option code 635 - Warning triangle and first-aid box  (Read 3154 times)

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
Hi all,
I just received my Vehicle Master Inquiry (awaiting my data card), and discovered my car was apparently shipped with an option that I haven't seen discussed here - Code 635 - Warning triangle and first-aid box.
Learning new stuff every day.
According the MB master code description list this code for this feature was from 01.04.1970 to 28.02.1974.
I've done some internet searches, and found that apparently these warning triangle/first-aid boxes were included in some cars, but removed from those shipped to the U.S.? (My '71 280SL is U.S. version)
I've found versions made for VWs (Leina Werk, model K23647) that appear to be the same as those for MB, but an MB unit listed is Dambach K23611, and they have similar appearance. The model numbers are close enough to appear to be from the same manufacturer?
Any insight here?
Thanks
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
(98 from the end of production)
DB180 Silver Gray Metallic
Black MB Tex

John Betsch - "SADIE"

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, SOUTHOLD
My car is a Germany car.  It had a tack-on-blue first aid kit and a warning triangle when I purchased it.  From my research, I thought the option code for the first aid kit was DB Code 222.  I do not know if they are original (first owner purchase) or correct.  I would very much appreciate any insight members can give. 

I have a feeling the first aid kit might be correct but not the warning triangle.
Adding to this trivial pursuit 
JB
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 14:22:25 by SADIE »
JB; 1965 German market SL, Rot Met 571, Summary Code 213 Interior

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
JB - I looked up option 222 and the list shows it as “First aid kit” (no emergency triangle), from 01.11.1962 to 30.09.1970
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
Black MB Tex

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
At one time in the 60s, it became a law in Germany that you had to have a First Aid kit and a warning triangle in your car. It was enforced by checks during routine traffic stops and during the TÜV inspection. Many car manufacturers provided these items for all new cars. you did not have to special order them. My 1971 SL has a First Aid kit and a triangle. I do not know if these parts came as OE and there is no entry on the data card
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

GM

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, CA, San Pedro
Thanks, Mike, this helps.
The only reason I saw this option is because it showed up on my VMI.
Do you know who made yours - Dambach or does it look like JB's above?
Thanks
Gary
1971 280SL - Sold
Black MB Tex

John Betsch - "SADIE"

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, SOUTHOLD
As anyone scans their unread posts regarding the "Warning Triangle" posting, could you take a gander at the pictures I posted of my first aid kit and triangle reply and give me an opinion on their originality/vintage etc  merci
sadie
JB; 1965 German market SL, Rot Met 571, Summary Code 213 Interior