Author Topic: 35 amp alternator on 230 SL, 55 amp alt upgrade.  (Read 1876 times)

McBenz

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, TX, CELINA
  • Both car and owner from Stuttgart
35 amp alternator on 230 SL, 55 amp alt upgrade.
« on: August 13, 2020, 22:02:06 »
I have a 1965 230SL and I removed the aftermarket A/C compressor and large bracket, and replaced the bracket with an updated bracket from the 250 and 280 models. I am now experiencing the battery not charging correctly and the red generator light in the center dash staying on. I'm trying to see if the 35 amp alternator on the 230 sl requires the bracket be isolated via the old style rubber washers so that the alternator is not grounded via the bracket. My early alternator has no plug and all lugs for ring terminals. With a separate lug for a small ring connector and brown wire from the main harness. No 3 prong plug on alternator.

I'm also looking at my voltage regulator (Bosch 0 190 600 009 ADN1/14v) for any damage. No previous problems charging, nothing looks damaged.

The wiring on the back of my alternator was put back the same way it was with the A/C mounted. I'm now wondering if I have a faulty ground now that the newer bracket is in place. By the way, the alternator was moved to its lower position.

Would it be better and more economical to replace my 35 amp alt to the 55 amp one with the built in voltage regulator, than purchase a new voltage regulator/ alt ?

Any thoughts?
1965 230 SL (Family Owned Since June 1965)
1974 Porsche 914 2.0L
2000 LX470 100 Series LandCruiser

lpeterssen

• Vendor
  • Gold
  • USA, FL, Miami
Re: 35 amp alternator on 230 SL, 55 amp alt upgrade.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 22:58:23 »
Dear McBenz

It is always better, if originality is not a priority for you, to have an alternator with internal regulation.  That is  more reliable since there are less interconnections Between components in your Charging system. Remember each component  is a weak point, susceptible to have a loose connection, breaking the system.

An internal regulated alternator has only two prong connectors.  One for terminal T30 (or also called Bat+) and another for the charge light.

If this later is your approach, then do not connect the external voltage regulator in the fender and open the connector that used to go to your previous alternator and use the cable which is red/blue as your lead for the charge light.

Installing a higher capacity alternator also means, that at least you have to upgrade the thicker cable going from alternator to starter terminal T30. Original pagoda cable for that purpose  was only 4 mm2 in section capable of handling 28A.  To eliminate that bottle neck you are creating With this change, improve that section of your harness to at least 10mm2, trough which A current of up to 53A can pass without major heat generation.  10mm2 equals to A cable size AWG 8.  The conductor from your starter to battery is thick enough (As starters demand much energy during cracking from battery) so the excess energy generated by your system when car is running, will travel fast to battery and charge it effectively.

I am surprised that your car with such a small 35A alternator worked seamlessly with an Air conditioner unit. For sure your A/C system does not have a electric fan in front of the condenser (radiator) since that only accessory has a peak consumption of 15 to 20A.  Leaving only (35-20) 15A for the rest of your car electricity users.

Any other question PM.

Best regards
L.Peterssen

McBenz

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, TX, CELINA
  • Both car and owner from Stuttgart
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 04:03:10 »
Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it. Yes, the aftermarket A/C never seemed to have much cooling power. We installed it in 1982, and am glad that I finally removed that extra weight. Surprising enough, the alternator is the original one that was in the car at delivery from factory. And even survived my teenage years of installing "state of the art" cassette deck upgrade...

It looks like I will go with the 55 amp upgrade. This way I don't have to possibly replace the costly Bosch Voltage Regulator.
1965 230 SL (Family Owned Since June 1965)
1974 Porsche 914 2.0L
2000 LX470 100 Series LandCruiser

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 05:14:22 »
Before you install the 55 amp alternator, change your wires as Ipeterssen suggests!
https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=24660
https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=30134

Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)