Author Topic: Battery Suggestions  (Read 2112 times)

marshall

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, PA, Warminster
Battery Suggestions
« on: July 20, 2020, 14:38:48 »
After years of being without a battery hold down frame, I just purchased a factory frame with plated j-hooks from M-B Classic Center. When I went to install, I quickly saw that the battery in my '71 280SL would not accept the frame.
That battery is a Bosch Platinum Series Group 48/L3/H6, about 5 years old. Both terminals interfere with the frame. Aside from a battery I would think I could get from the dealer, please send some hints on good batteries that would suit my car and of course fit well with the hold down frame.
Thanks from suburban Philadelphia!

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Battery Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 15:04:38 »
The proper battery type is 24F. This has the proper orientation of the positive and negative terminals.

There are only two manufacturers of batteries in the US, Exide and Johnson Controls. I recently purchased a Champion battery from the local auto parts store, I took the decals off, and with the help of my friend mrfatboy, painted the top cell covers black and fixed a round "Varta" sticker to the side. Voila, done.

I did have to "adjust", that is trim off a bit of the formed plastic piece around the top of the battery where the carry strap fit into, but it is a non-structural part of the battery. With that done the battery fit into the allotted space like a glove, and with the proper hold down.

There has been a lot written about the battery options. I would suggest you use the main search function (the one in the string of items starting with "Home" , not the one in the top right of the page (it only searches the current forum group you are on, not the whole forum).

Some have found black cases to put a get battery in, some have purchased the MB battery from the dealer. Some of that depends on whether you show the car.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 17:46:32 »
We must give credit to Alpinaltd for creating both Bosch & Varta decals 👍
1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

John Betsch - "SADIE"

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, SOUTHOLD
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 17:29:11 »
Quick Varta Battery question relating to above:  Aren't they white or was that the older ones?

jb
JB; 1965 German market SL, Rot Met 571, Summary Code 213 Interior

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 18:53:39 »
The original Varta battery in 49er’s 68 280sl was black. Search forum for his engine bay pic.
1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

marshall

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, PA, Warminster
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 19:36:31 »
I received word that an Interstate MT-24F battery would fit my '71 280SL fine, and would fit the hold-down frame I bought from M-B Classic Center properly. Is this OK?

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 21:43:42 »
Yes, the Interstate 24F will fit, you might need to make a slight adjustment on the top.

Suggest you consider a 24F from Champion, or pretty much any US label. I got the Champion from Pep Boys, and it is a black case. I got a Varta sticker to replace the stuck on ones. I did need to trim the top plastic a small amount and it fit in just great.

Note: there are only two manufacturers of batteries in the US, Exide and Johnson Controls. Now called Stryten and Brookfield Asset Mgmt respectively. Bankruptcies and buyouts, oh my!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 15:19:48 by Jonny B »
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor