Author Topic: FOR SALE - Right Side trunk Mat for Ponton Coupe and Cab  (Read 1961 times)

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
There are several here who have multiple classic Mercedes models, so I thought I would see if there is any interest. I made up several right side trunk mats for the three piece Ponton set and have only one left.

First attached shows an original condition complete three piece trunk mat set for the Ponton coupes and cabs. Second and third attached are close ups of the new third right side mat. The mats I made up were cut from a new larger center mat and so will match a new trunk mat set perfectly.

This unique mat will only fit the coupes and cabs and not the 190SL or the sedans. No one makes this third mat and why I made up several for me and people I know with these cars. If you have one of the cars and are interested, let me know. Once this one is gone, there is no more.

Price is $28 USD plus shipping.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 01:23:14 by wwheeler »
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

TJMart

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Matthews
Re: FOR SALE - Right Side trunk Mat for Ponton Coupe and Cab
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 15:47:19 »
Wallace,

Looks like from the second picture the mat you made (match colorwise) was perfect.
Not totally related to your right side mat but do you know if anyone made or has made the right side small trunk mat for the 1970 280SL? I have looked for years, for the original small mat, and the only one that has now been made and available is the large trunk mat. All other small mats are after market ones that are black and not the gray original.

Thanks
Tony
1970 280SL, 4 Speed

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
Re: FOR SALE - Right Side trunk Mat for Ponton Coupe and Cab
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 18:35:01 »
I ran into the same issue you did. The right side mat did not exist in the aftermarket, black or gray. What I did was to sacrifice a new center mat and cut it up into correctly sized pieces. I made it into a group project and polled to see if any others were interested. Based on the number of interested people, that is how many large mats I bought and cut. Then I just took the cost of the mats and divided into the number of participants to get the unit cost.

I didn't make any money on it, but I got the mat I needed and helped others along the way. Can't do much better than that. I did not have the correct right mat for mine and a member of another forum graciously took dimensions and sent me a template of his. From there, I matched it to my car for accuracy. Easy to do and just requires a bit of effort. And yes, the color match is very good and only imperceptibly different. My main mat set and the right mat came from different sources btw.

I believe there have been similar projects to this on SL113 and the firewall pad comes to my mind. It shouldn't be hard to do the same. 
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6